Watch the quick brown fox actually jump over the lazy dog

Is Zeal also a condiment?

1 Like

I would like to know more about the status of the fox in all this. Is it a pet fox?
(The parents of the explorer Major Blashford-Snell had two pet foxes which thought they were cats, so I know they can be domesticated. And at one point one of my kids lived in a house in South London which had a fox family living under the garden shed. Our dog at the time was quite elderly and harmless, but when he walked out there the foxes would make way for him and he would just ignore them. Interaction as per the video just didn’t happen.)

3 Likes

Rosie the fox jumps over Maddy the dog:

8 Likes

No. You’re thinking of zest.

2 Likes

French: Moi, je veux quinze clubs a golf et du whisky pur.
Latin: Ferunt Ophyr convexa kumba per liquida gaza.
Dutch: Sexy qua lijf, doch bang voor het zwempak.

2 Likes

Russians actually went and domesticated foxes as an experiment[1]. It’s been going since 1959[2] and, apparently, that’s how long it takes to produce a tame breed. By all accounts they make great pets.

It might be a natural extra-tame variation, a kit, or maybe one of the silver fox breed. They do sell them as pets.

[1] Not in whether they could do it, but rather in studying how the incidental dog-traits related to the one humans have been breeding for specifically, viz. tameness. Turns out that they appear to be deeply related since the domesticated foxes turned out to be surprisingly doglike.
[2] When it was specifically against party doctrine. However, it seems that Russian geneticists have been bred for complete lack of self-preservation, since they just cheerfully ignored that and somehow lived through the experience.

7 Likes

I eat cow heads with zest.

3 Likes

I have this as my screen-locker image:

The fox looks like he’s telling the dog a hilarious joke.

11 Likes

A rabbit is not a hare. /comicbookguy

1 Like
2 Likes

Well I wasn’t really worried that we were stuck in a simulation until now…

It looked to me like they were friends. Fox are very playful…sometimes. especially the younger ones.

That’s what you think. It wasn’t until hours later that the dog realized he no longer had his wallet or keys.

15 Likes

Yes, but you can’t always get it. It’s seasonal.

1 Like

Foxicle

"So then the FOX… the fox says to the dog “Imma jump over you.” and the dog! Ha ha ha! The DOG sez(insert punchline)

1 Like

“You want to try something . . . different tonight? How about I roll in your scent and heh-heh, and uh, heh, you . . . you jump over me heh heh heh.”

6 Likes

Surely this video is yet another omen of the coming apocalypse. So…

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party.

3 Likes

Well, this is how cilantro tastes to me, and I think they would cook cow heads with cilantro?

2 Likes

but is this flying snipe seeking rest on soft tussocks?

(Swedish: Flygande bäckasiner söka hwila på mjuka tuvor)

3 Likes

I did read the paper they wrote (there’s an English translation somewhere out there.)
They were arctic foxes, very much more aggressive than European ones. The object of the experiment was to make breeding them for fur easier, and it was successful, but PETA basically destroyed the market and they tried to sell them as pets.
British urban foxes have been around people for around 50 years and it’s pretty clear that natural selection is working as expected - the ones that behave nicely around people get fed and allowed to stay in gardens so they survive.

Your remark about Soviet scientists is, I think, a misunderstanding. So long as scientists stayed out of politics and didn’t challenge Marxism-Leninism, they were fine. If it went bang or might bring in foreign currency, so much the better. Solzhyenitsyn got into political trouble. Korolev actually embezzled State funds for his private rocket experiments and was sent to prison, not executed: he eventually become head of the space programme. Another rocket scientist wanted to do an experiment with an extremely dangerous fuel, and when it was discovered he was simply fined under health and safety law (it’s documented by John Clark in his book Ignition!). Breeding better arctic foxes would have brought in foreign currency and showed the perfectibility of things under the Soviet system, so it was doubleplusgood. No Russian biologist would have doubted natural selection; Lysenko’s idea was that in addition simple exposure to environmental conditions would somehow modify genes. In fact we now know that environmental conditions during upbringing can in some cases modify gene expression, so in the state of knowledge at the time Lysenko wasn’t obviously wrong. What was wrong was the Stalinist absolutism with which his ideas were treated.

7 Likes

So you’re not going to eat the rest of the cows?
Asking for a friend.

4 Likes