Watch the quick brown fox actually jump over the lazy dog

Speaking as a quiz, I am still vext by those feckin fjord bank glyphs.

1 Like

“Have you run into those trees? Ruff bark!”

3 Likes

ah, you are one of the people to whom cilantro tastes like soap.

am i recalling correctly that you live south enough to be smack dab in cilantro country? that’s unfortunate. :slight_smile:

i’ve heard that is genetic. just curious, do you like mango or papaya? any strong taste aversions to any other foods?

3 Likes

Yes, at practically every restaurant or street vendor I have to check for cilantro before I order. I presume they think I am either hard to please or just crazy. Thankfully, there’s plenty of non-cilantro dishes, and also non-spicy fare.

Interestingly enough, I love mango, but haven’t had papaya in any amount that I can remember. I even found some dried mango laced with just enough ground chili that it doesn’t make my head explode. Delicious!

Personally, my strongest aversions are to dill pickles, regular yellow/brown mustard (I love honey mustard), and real mayonnaise (also love Miracle Whip - which they do not sell in Tijuana).

1 Like

Belyaev’s silver foxes (melanistic Vulpes vulpes) /= “arctic foxes” (Vulpes lagopus). PZ Myers wrote a nice summary a year or so ago about the genetic interconnectedness of the domestication.

IIRC, Belyaev was sacked from his Moscow position for refusing to go along with Stalin’s fondness for Lysenko, and ended up in Siberia, which is why his whole research project started when he found something useful to do. Then Stalin died and people no longer faced execution or internal exile for paying attention to reality, so Belyaev was allowed to continue.

5 Likes

Hey, you left out J and W in the Latin example.

3 Likes

Like I say, if you were a Soviet scientist it was best to stay out of political trouble, and the fondness for Lysenko arose from Leninism.

I see my memory was faulty, though in fairness to myself (!) I read the article years ago and with extensive help from Google Translate. Following your post I looked around and cleared up my source of confusion; there are semi-tame (but not domesticated) Arctic foxes for sale in the US though whether anyone has bought one is moot. And Russians sometimes call silver foxes Arctic foxes.
Oh well…

1 Like

I don’t think Latin has a J or a W

5 Likes

and now… your dog has ticks

1 Like

Because so does the Latin alphabet!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.