Watch the Tiger King

tumblr_1ab6cd40131971589ca1e0856f482a01_f4d3ee3c_640

8 Likes

horror!

But well played.

8 Likes

3 Likes

Every description I see makes the show sound like trash TV at it’s trashiest. I like my braincells, and don’t wish to destroy them in this manner.

2 Likes

After watching 2 episodes: It’s sad, sick and infuriating, and everyone with any screen time is a terrible person or being manipulated by one. In other words, it’s the perfect pop-culture craze for this moment. It’s so over-the-top, it manages to be weirder than the rest of our already batshit-crazy world. Could easily be mistaken for a rather unfunny mockumentary, but it isn’t.

I don’t find it easy or particularly entertaining viewing, but it is compelling. And I don’t blame anyone for wanting to sit this one out. I’m going to keep watching, but with time between episodes. Just can’t binge this one…

2 Likes
  1. No plans to watch this. Into owls, hummingbirds, cats, and wombats these days. So less stressful.

2. The poop on the real life Tiger King guy:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Exotic

3 Likes

Saw her and Maya R in Bridesmaids. They are too funny!

I’ve watched most of this. Meh. I suppose its great if you like watching some big non-stop freak show.

2 Likes

It’s entertaining but also felt quite dishonest and manipulative. I’ve noticed this trend in a number of Netflix docs. Rather than opting for a journalistic unpacking of what happened they structure it for maximum dramatic effect, withholding important information to create surprises and make the story seem more salacious. I stopped trusting Tiger King after the first few episodes when I realized how much obvious information (especially about Carole Baskin) they were ignoring or withholding.

Those who’ve watched it should definitely read Baskin’s detailed rebuttal: https://bigcatrescue.org/refuting-netflix-tiger-king/

1 Like

I’m yet to watch it, but one person’s description of it as “Hillbilly game of thrones” has me intrigued.

2 Likes

My better half says, “My IQ goes down when I watch it!” I love this show. It’s hilarious.

1 Like

You’ve never been burned by a Rabid Wombat deck, I see.

4 Likes

That’s not right.

2 Likes

New York Magazine had a decent article about this feud. From the article, Joe Exotic is exactly as he appears on the show, but Carol Daskin is not. It looks like there was some significantly skewed editing done in an effort to tell a story of “crazy people everywhere”, without seriously considering the ethical and behavioral differences between the characters.

1 Like

Wait… people watched the documentary about how manipulative, criminal, and toxic Joe Exotic and other around him were and then believed those people?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.