Watch this amusing boxing match between two hares

Originally published at: Watch this amusing boxing match between two hares | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Fantastically lucky to not only see that, but get such good footage! I get to see hares from time to time in fields around a village not far from where I live, they’re usually some way across the fields, only really visible with binoculars. One exception was late one night, taking a mate home after some beers in a country pub, we found ourselves crawling along behind a hare lolloping along in the centre of the narrow late, seemingly indifferent to the car a couple of meters behind, possibly taking advantage of having his way well lit! We must have followed it for a couple of hundred metres before it found an entrance into a field that took its fancy, and it disappeared. I have seen hares mating on one occasion, but never boxing, so I’m extraordinarily envious of this ladies experience.

6 Likes

Those hares are not playacting; all those little white bits floating by are tufts of fur they have knocked out of each other.

9 Likes

I agree but from a distance it still looks like two wimpy guys who don’t know how to throw a punch.

slapping-fight

15 Likes

6 Likes

I expected a lot more brutality after reading Watership Down

10 Likes

“You’re mad as a March hare!”

“Oh yeah? Well, you’re a dumb bunny!”

9 Likes

Isn’t this a scene from Midsommar?

The internet has ruined me. This wasn’t the kind of Bunny Boxing that I was expecting to see.

The hares now both have ASBOs.

1 Like

When we watch bunnies boxing or birds quarreling we think it is cute, bit in their world it is serious business.
It makes me wonder what a more evolved race would think of our species constant fighting,

Hares will compete for individual mating opportunities, and boxing is actually usually a way for the females to test the males, so while it is serious it makes sense it isn’t quite that bloody. While on the other hand rabbits live in burrows where a dominant male can control access to a harem of females for a long time, and there fights to the death are definitely reported.

1 Like

And hiding midst the bramble bush by the bubbling brook sat Bookie Bear, taking bets.

Nah, that had more communal screaming.

1 Like

Seeing that other species aren’t building guided nuclear missiles and assault rifles by the ton, probably they like us as much as pets who wreck the house with their squabbles.

1 Like

I guy I work with who’s father is an “Italian Businessman” said that to humiliate someone it was common to dominate the victim by slapping them i.e. they aren’t worthy of a closed fist.

I will just leave this hare:

1 Like

Countryside. Wildlife. Beers. Pub.
/Wipes wistful tear for the Before Times from eye.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.