Watch this doggo pilfer his neighbor's porch when he finds the treasure of all treasures

I grew up in a small town in the 1950s - 1970s. For the most part dogs roamed free…sometimes ours did, sometimes not. There was always a ‘dog community’ though, and they were generally adapted to the needs of the human community. Dogs looked after kids (saw a dog once steer a middle aged man away from a two year old…and they’d go get someone’s mom when needed. Ever try to swim around a Newfoundland dog? ) Aggressive dogs would be culled either by other dogs or people. The free roaming dogs understood traffic, etc. I had a dog that rode around with the milkman, taxis, or sometimes the dogcatcher (whose job was to capture problem dogs). Now, after many years of leash laws in that community, I see pictures on Facebook that illustrate the consequences. One woman had three grizzly bears in her front yard eating apples and chilling…and I am always getting notifications from the community page “cougar spotted in lakeview, keeps children and pets indoors”, or “bear here, bear there”. The much larger community I live in now , Edmonton, AB, had no leash laws when I arrived in the late '70s. The neighbourhood I moved into at that time had five German shepherd dogs roaming on the block I lived on. No wild animals, no prowlers at night ( I was still in my ‘going to the bar’ years…walking home too drunk to drive at 3:00 AM was also something dogs in other 'hoods didn’t approve of, so there’s that. ) Anyway, now, after years of leash laws, we have had a moose in the back yard, cougars prowling around, coyotes ( who will attack humans and who don’t get rabies vaccines ) and innumerable jackrabbits that make home gardening very difficult. We now have a bobcat who hangs around the house, see the prints from time to time. Tradeoffs…

7 Likes

My mother’s childhood dog dragged home a roast in a pan once…

5 Likes

My childhood beagle brought a Christmas turkey home. Still warm. One breast had been carved, he got the rest. I think it may have been given to him by a pair of elderly sisters who often invited him into their home; they were a little silly. I hope it was theirs, anyway .

3 Likes

If you’re ordering four pizzas, can’t you have someone else in the house get them off the porch?

Your name wouldn’t happen to be Bumpus, would it?

1 Like

If there was not a stretch of time passing between trips to steal these pizzas then I would be suspicious. This dog is most likely taking the pizza, gobbling it down, going back for another, gobbling it down, etc., and the video is edited to remove these pauses where nothing is happening on camera. If the dog had the discipline and forethought to take each one of these, set it down, and go back for another, that would be some strange un-dog-like behavior for sure.

2 Likes

Ha, yeah, it was a Lab after all :slight_smile: . The commentator said she knew the pizza was there and didn’t go get it; that was why the time lapse struck me as unlikely. But then, I am not one to leave pizza alone, others may not be so dedicated. And, there were four pizzas, so not all for her. Someone must have been hungry …The edit I thought was suspicious was the “thought balloon” which also cut off part of the frame around the door. The internet has taught me not to be trusting in these matters :laughing:

Is that the “leglamp” movie? I have never watched it, but have been nearby when others did. If I had known there were Bloodhounds I would have paid attention :slight_smile: Hound dogs in general are always looking for another meal. My childhood beagle had a “route” everyday; he’d go downtown to the breakfast diner at the bus station; they would give him a soup bone to bring home. He’d visit the ladies that I think gave him the turkey, and others I was unaware of. Often when he was with me people would say, “I know your dog” and proceed to scritch him. My dog was much more social than I

4 Likes

Yes, I believe the roast was cooked, as well. Likely someone has set it out to cool, and the enterprising dog took the opportunity…

1 Like

It was only 4 pizzas. Why would you assume anyone else in the house?

3 Likes

FTFY!

2 Likes

The same!

1 Like

Didn’t know he wrote this…he is a favourite in a hobby I follow, ham radio, because he was a participant thereof. His stuff not to my interest, however, so I guess it’s no surprise I never got into “A Christmas Story”. Team Dickens, Woo Woo

1 Like

This proves that video doorbells are extremely useful, and not just a creepy new way for people to pay to support the surveillance state. I want something I can best describe as “like Ring, but not evil”.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.