Watch this fantastic 1994 Pizza Hut TV commercial that's entirely in Klingon

Hoffwn archebu pizza tiwna

vs.

pItSa’ chab ra’ tuna vIneH

Sounds all “Θα ήθελα να παραγγείλω μια πίτσα με τόνο” to me…

(any hurt feelings are to blame on https://www.translator.eu/)

1 Like

The Welsh alphabet doesn’t include ‘Q’.

You mean ‘fewer’, and Welsh has more than English: a,e,i,o,u,y.

Look; I know people are only joking, but Welsh people are kind of sensitive about being the butt of the same tired old ‘banter’, again and again and again - once is fine, but when it’s constant, it’s belittling and offensive. Your culture is ‘real’, our very language is a joke.

Please don’t.

Diolch yn fawr.

3 Likes

it’s a UK advert, so it might be…
also this:

1 Like

I loved that scifi show that was filmed in Cardiff, Torchwood.

Welsh is a wonderful language and yes, it is a real culture… I never said otherwise.

2 Likes

Quite right you are! And indeed, the “language” spoken in the trailer isn’t actual Klingon; it’s just gibberish made to sound Klingon (and honestly, it doesn’t really do too well at that, either).

Note that when making compound nouns in Klingon, “A B” means “A’s B”, “the B of A” or “B pertaining to A”. As such, qach tIr ngogh nIm wIb ngogh would be “house bread cheese”, or “the cheese of house bread”. To say “the house of cheese bread”, I would recommend something like nIm wIb tIr ngogh qach (leaving out the ngogh in nIm wIb ngogh, because that word means something like “lump” and seems to refer to a solid hunk of cheese).

Personally, I’d just call Pizza Hut pItSa’ qach (“pizza building”), or pItSa’ qachHom (“pizza small-house”) if one insists on distinguishing between huts and other buildings. pItSa’ qach has the benefit that it is more or less assonant with "Pizza Hut.

5 Likes

tng-qapla

3 Likes

I remember this, and also remember begging my parents to take me so I could get the cups. IIRC, I had the phaser and the tricorder.

This is most excellent.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.