Watch this fantastic 1994 Pizza Hut TV commercial that's entirely in Klingon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/11/watch-this-fantastic-1994-pizz.html

8 Likes

Pizza is a dish that is at best passable served cold.

17 Likes

I love the cheesy rock guitar that erupts when the Bird of Prey explodes.

Had this been broadcast here in the US (especially sometime in the past three years), it would have been met with this nonsense:

“SPEAK ENGLISH! GO BACK TO MEXICO!”

I’m curious: is “triqqa” actually the Klingon word for “pizza”, or is it the name of the Klingon dish that most closely resembles pizza?

14 Likes

For added fun, turn on the closed caption on Youtube and watch it barf words as it tries to convert Klingon into language of your choice.

11 Likes

Are you sure that wasn’t Welsh???

10 Likes

6 Likes

Finally, with Pizza Hut skin, I can treat my bum flogged edgy take bratok slugs rash!

11 Likes

Those aren’t Klingon words according to the online dictionary, so it it’s probably nonsense sounds selected by the Klingon franchisee to make something "Pizza Hut"ish (like how early Coca Cola vendors in China famously used nonsense characters to get a "Coca Cola"ish sounding name). You can’t use straight Klingon because "qach tIr ngogh nIm wIb ngogh’ " (literally “structure of cheese bread”) is a real mouthful and no successful entrepreneur is going to chose an eight syllable brand name.

Klingon doesn’t have a word for “hut”. They have a loan word for “pizza” ( “pItSa’ chab”), but it was only added in 2011.

3 Likes

One pie to go, please, with pepperoni and gagh.

5 Likes

Just make sure they serve fresh gagh. I detest it when the bloodworms are dead.

3 Likes

Convince me it isn’t

2 Likes

Who the heck eats dead bloodworms?

:grimacing:

1 Like

"qach tIr ngogh nIm wIb ngogh’ "? no wonder they’d rather order gach!

That was completely unexpected and absolutely wonderful, and provided a serious Klingon belly laugh that would curl your toes

1 Like

Trump is going to hit the ceiling about deporting these Klingon immigrants taking ar jarbs!

1 Like

Nonsense. Cold tuna pizza for breakfast is delicious.

3 Likes

Welsh has far less vowels…

3 Likes

Delicious! It is a cellular peptide cake — with mint frosting.