Watch this fantastic coffee ad

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/18/watch-this-fantastic-coffee-ad.html

13 Likes

Coffee commercial dad is an awesome dad.

22 Likes

Right? My dad still makes drip coffee and would have crushed my glasses.

18 Likes

Very heartwarming, but I must say the subtle t-shirt shout-out to Def Leppard seals the deal for me. And I’m not even really a Def Leppard fan!

2 Likes

“Douwe Egberts”, Dutch for “Folgers” I think. Certainly for taste. To perfect the correlation, all the ad is missing is the subtle hint that the two girls are sisters.

2 Likes

Homophobes = :sauropod: :t_rex: (only less cool).

10 Likes

Damn, now my coffee is salty.

8 Likes

Wait, what is the significance of Def Leppard in the context of this commercial?

4 Likes

As recently featured on BoingBoing

5 Likes

Pity I missed that. I would have had some things to say about coffee in West Africa, and I fact every place I ever visited where coffee for the international market is produced.

1 Like

LOL - yes, I actually laughed out loud.

Good shot there, Solderer

1 Like

Yes. No, I got that. I was wondering about “the subtle t-shirt shout-out to Def Leppard seals the deal for me…” Def Leppard does not scream dyke band (contrast with Tribe 8), or even queer positive band (contrast with Chumbawamba). (Not that queer folks of any variety don’t love music of all varieties, mind you. Just… what if she had been wearing a Julio Iglesias shirt or something?)

4 Likes

However, having seen a VH-1 Where are they now? type thing about them – they were taken completely by surprise when Pour Some Sugar On Me became the most ever played song in a Strip Club.

While I can not verify this, I assume that most newer fans of the Def discovered them in/during a pole dance.

4 Likes

I have certainly enjoyed me some Def Leppard in my time. :slight_smile: Just not seeing the significance of the connect in this commercial.

Oh wait… it’s the sugar and the fact that folks like drinking coffee with same?

1 Like

It would sell it even more for me.

3 Likes

Seems just random to me. :woman_shrugging:

Or maybe an oblique reference to the rather saccharine Paul Stanley commercial? (Not that Kiss had much to do with Def Leppard, aside from both being Classic Rock.)

5 Likes

What was that?! :astonished:

6 Likes

There’s no significance in relation to the pro-queer message, as far as I’m aware. I’m sorry if I sounded like I was implying that there is one.

I was just considering it from a design perspective: I like the subtlety of the detail, how it relies on the distinctive typeface of the band’s logo. Just a brief glimpse of three letters lets us know a little bit about the character.

I would be just as impressed if the shirt had any other band logo on it, but only if the mostly-hidden logo featured a font as instantly recognizable as Def Leppard’s, such that only a few letters need to be seen in order to communicate to the audience what music the character is into.

But yeah, it would have been especially cool if it were a band affiliated with the queer community, turning the shirt into an easter egg for those in the know.

6 Likes

Thank you! For whatever reason your first comment niggled its way into my Solve The Puzzle brain. :slight_smile:

5 Likes