Watch this helpful "Kids Guide to the Internet"

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/02/watch-this-helpful-kids-guid.html

1 Like

What’s “Yahoo”?

8 Likes

that thing i still use for email out of inertia mostly…

11 Likes

Turn on any TV, any channel. It’s the orange guy on the screen.

7 Likes

you kids stay safe out there. there are some dangerous people in cyberspace. like Julia Stiles.

4 Likes

What a great visual demonstration of how quickly technology changes. If it wasn’t for the obvious clues it would be hard for me to accept this was made in 1997 and not 1987.

[quote=“pesco, post:1, topic:82585”]On your mark, get set

Now we’re riding on the Internet

Cyberspace, sets us free

Hello virtual reality

Interactive appetite

Searching for a Web site…[/quote]For some reason I immediately thought of:

2 Likes

I will not be fooled, this must be another Adam Lisagor thing like “Computer Show”, right? right?

2 Likes

“Someday soon, you’ll not only get to diagnose and repair your parent’s computer, but you’ll get to help them with their internet connection, too, from thousands of miles away over the telephone! And the viruses they’ll catch! Oh, the viruses! And you’ll get to have many, many uncomfortable conversations with your own children about all the deeply disturbing shit that people are in to, like slooping and blemming!”

/kids back away from the computer, off-stage, go outside, play

“Also, pirates will steal all the music!”

/kids run back in, download all the hips and the hops

10 Likes

“double backslash” seems like a big clue.

5 Likes

Do you remember how snide we used to be about email viruses? I remember telling my parents over and over again that there was no such thing, stop forwarding me these chain emails.

3 Likes

It’s the only web browser with a full-day’s supply of calcium!

I remember the seemingly unstoppable warnings about the “Goodtimes” virus. After a few months it became clear to me the virus was the warning.

2 Likes

Why, thirty seconds in and my toe is already a-tapping!

1 Like

7 Likes

My new favorite song!

1 Like

My new favorite haircut!

1 Like

he went a bit shorter as a grown-up

3 Likes

jessica hische recently tried to remember the dial-up noise in an interview
at github that was kinda funny

at about 39.20ish

I keep thinking of you because this video is in dire need of MST3K treatment. The possibilities are endless…

2 Likes