Watch this lion feel earth and grass beneath his feet for the first time in 13 years

1 Like

Come on now.
With enough money, smart people, fuel and oxidizer, there is no prison for us, in your terms.

The prison is not gravity, for we defeat gravity every day getting out of bed.

The real prison is time, c, and biology, making us decrepit corpses before we can get anywhere interesting, or everyone else interesting is already dead.

These are eminently solvable problems, itā€™s just that there arenā€™t enough very start people working on them.

1 Like

These people are raising money to move their animal sanctuary to a bigger place: http://www.ranchodosgnomos.org.br/campanha/Animal_Sanctuary.htm

$3 buys 1m2 of land. Donate a little money if you want to help these rescued animals have more room to roam around!

Iā€™m not at all an expert, but does that lion look like itā€™s 14 years old? If itā€™s a male it canā€™t be much older than two or three, judging by the manes. The paws are rather large compared to the body, which also suggests weā€™re looking at a young, playful animal. Something feels wrong.

2 Likes

LOL I had the very same idea. Wouldnā€™t that be awful? Especially since heā€™s just getting a bigger cage.

I hope there is some well-shaded space in that compound.

This brought tears to my eyes.

No. Given the track of racism, sexism, genocide etc the world would be fucked if 300 year old bigots were in charge. Or 100 year old bigots. Old people are a barrier to change.

A world full of old people would be a poorer world; most change and progress comes from children, who challenge the status quo and innovate as they grow up. And that means the old people need to die off regularly so they arenā€™t in the way ofā€¦ progress.

1 Like

On the other hand, with 3 times longer lifetimes the changes will just happen 3 times lower in terms of years, and in the same speed in terms of lifetimes. Meanwhile the longer lives allow more time to learn stuff needed for further progress; thereā€™s more and more to read and understand and build on.

So longer lives, hand in hand with massive cognitive enhancements, are the must-go way.

Most math geniuses do their best work before the age of 30.

No thanks. Old people need to die for progress to occur. Extending lifespan just means more corrupt old people in charge. I could see better mental health until the end, and minor extensions, but life beyond age 100 would have crippled progress in the last 500 years.

Not everything is math; one local scientist was cranking out antivirals until he was 74, then retired and died a year later, and there are many other examples.

I am rapidly heading into that category. And if my choice is between dying later and letting progress occur faster, guess what is my choice. Sorry for being selfish.

Better mental health and better cognition along the entire age is a must.
A significant life extension, at full cognitive capability (no Alzheimer please) and as unimpaired physical capability as achievable is a major plus.

1 Like

I luv boingBā€™s continually infernal, off-topic, post-derailing Comments! Where would the site be without 'em?..

Thank god these automatically close in 5 days. (And not a moment too soon, for many of us). :speak_no_evil:

Lionā€™s version of Shawshank Redemption.

1 Like

Closer to home is all relative.

1 Like

He looked so excited. So many new things to touch and play with. But he still had time to stop by the fence to show affection and appreciation.

You are correct. My post was thoughtless and is deleted now.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.