Watch this osprey catch a trout in super slo-mo

[Read the post]

3 Likes

Notice near the end, the osprey grips to fish so it is oriented facing forward, for maximum aerodynamic efficiency. The first time I saw this IRL, it gave me goosebumps.

7 Likes

Wow, this video is fantastic.

I had the privilege of seeing an Osprey dive and take a fish out of the water when I was in Oregon on the Rogue River.
That is something else to see.

2 Likes

That is no small fish either.

They fly lazy, overlapping circles over water as they drift. When they spot the quick-silver flash of a fish in the water, they fold their wings and just drop onto their prey. There are tons of 'em all over the place, here.

1 Like

Sweet. It’s not every day you get to hear Ewan McGregor speak with out affecting some not-Scottish accent.

3 Likes

Ah, the majesty of nature:

http://bennyhillthis.com/?v=yQOVcP67zFM

If there are fish rising they often make several abortive passes as they try to time it/get a fish that takes a little to long at the surface. Once I was fly fishing a hole for a while when an osprey showed up. We were chasing the same fish for about half an hour when the Osprey finally commited to a dive and flew off with the trout not twenty feet away from me. I’ve never been so happy to lose a fish to someone before.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.