Watch: Octopus vs. eagle

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/13/watch-octopus-vs-eagle.html

3 Likes

When I was a kid, I watched those animal documentaries where like 10,000 baby sea turtles would get eaten by birds, crabs, whatever on their run to the ocean, and I wondered if the camera operators helped some out. Later, I realized birds and crabs gotta eat. They are counting on that turtle bounty and to decide that turtles “win” seems a disruption to an order sorted by nature.

I feel bad for this octopus–that’s a lot of protein and it’s risky to grab it off the surface. When will we learn to leave things alone?

13 Likes

two beautiful creatures. a bald eagle and an amazing octopus.
not sure if i am sad that the octopus was deprived of a meal or happy that bald eagle got away.

5 Likes

Yay Humans!

2 Likes
7 Likes

Eaglenado vs Octoruption 2: The Peckening! It is beak against beak action!

9 Likes

The guy in the boat was deprived of a good meal too. Octopus are tasty, I’m not sure if I like them better battered and fried, or chilled with cucumber and wakame seaweed in a light vinegar dressing.

6 Likes

Again?

4 Likes

12 Likes

I wonder if they would have bothered if the roles were reversed.

7 Likes

I agree with your sentiment, though it’s likely that the initiation of the encounter went the other way: the eagle swooping down to take the octopus and getting the script flipped on it.

5 Likes

Like in that Annie Dillard book
Where she sees that eagle with the skull of a weasel
Hanging from its neck
And here’s how it happened, listen.
Eagle bites the weasel. Weasel bites back.
They fly up to nowhere. Weasel keeps hangin’ on.
Together forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZv9kuEHR-4

Laurie Anderson, Speechless

2 Likes

Eagle, “Now this is a story all about how
my life got flipped turned upside down
and I’d like to take a minute just sit right there
I’ll tell you how I almost become the lunch of a cephalopod called Cesare.”

13 Likes

This is the perfect metaphor for America right now. Well, and the UK. But not an eagle, there.

6 Likes

Don’t mess with the octopus!

4 Likes

I think that the UK version is a pigeon being attacked by an Eagle and Rats.

1 Like

Octopuses are smarter than dogs. You do you, but for me, they are off the list of things to eat.

Squid are pretty stupid, so you are more okay there.

3 Likes

Apparently someone released the Kraken.

3 Likes

While interfering with a single hunt isn’t going to have much impact, humans really should refrain from interfering in the predator-prey dynamics of wild animals.

3 Likes

They’re also dang near impossible to animate

3 Likes