Watch this person's funny reaction as sea lion jumps on her boat to escape circling orcas

The video suggested plenty of space to keep your distance from the sea lion. It seemed to be staying on the opposite side of the boat, and looked like a relatively small one. Sea lions aren’t know to attack people very often if you keep your distance. Even under stress they don’t want to be near you either.

Interactions with pinnipeds are pretty common on the west coast. I have lost many fish to a hungry seal/ sea lion. It’s our responsibility as users of the water to be educated and ensure we aren’t endangering them.

Also, zoonotic transmission from pinnapeds is very rare. The most common infected groups are vets and other people who are directly interacting with the animal (such as your friend who is trapping them). (Seal Finger!) So yeah I wouldn’t attempt to touch the sea lion, but they aren’t anywhere near the top of my list of animals that I am concerned of catching something from.

5 Likes

I had a sea lion check me out while I was diving outside Santa Barbara. It didn’t seem to find me very interestng. Can’t say I blame it, you feel very slow and clumsy when one zooms past.

3 Likes

They are amazing to watch in the water. So gracefull and fast vs their on land persona.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.