Watch this replica medieval trebuchet smash a log palisade

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/22/watch-this-replica-medieval-tr.html

5 Likes

Castles made of sand . . .

4 Likes

Covid can’t spread if we go back to feudalism where the peasants aren’t allowed to leave the land without permission.

4 Likes

This video was good until the ‘weapons expert’ started ‘acting’.

11 Likes

He always presents with the same levels of enthusiasm, it seems to be sincere but does come across as forced.

1 Like

That palisade is quite lacking, but the shattered log is still pretty convincing.

3 Likes

The Mythbusters also did a great episode building a Hwacha too!

3 Likes

Can’t unhear it, the narrator on that first video is George Carlin

He’s always like that.

(As @timd says)

1 Like

I was worried about the trees at first, because they came into view before the palisade. :relieved:

2 Likes

When he said “The walls are now breached and the opposing army will be on its way.”, an opportunity was missed to cut to the volunteers sitting around on lawn chairs, beers in hand.

5 Likes

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Had to look up the Latin, but I clearly remember the English from a book of useful Latin phrases somebody brought to class some 20-30 years ago.

“I have a catapult. Give me all the money or I will throw a large rock at your head.”

4 Likes

Once years ago, A group of like-minded trebuchet fans were gathered in a field for some boulder throwing. It wasn’t as large as the one here, but we ended up with only two launches. Not because it failed, but because it scared the hell out of us. First shot had a release point error, and the stone launched almost straight up out of sight. We were divided about running for cover, which was effectively nil in the desert, or staying put. Luckily the ditherers - all of us - were spared, as it fell to earth some yards away from anyone. Tinkering for a while led to the second heave, and that scared us even more. We were throwing light projectiles, and when the arm whipped up the stone left at prodigious speed, heading for the far, far end of the the field. We all lost sight of it, but it announced its presence with authority. A local road bordered that end, splitting two fields, and cars were traveling blithely unaware of the possibility of something going medieval on them. Then, beyond the road by a fair distance, a visible cloud of dirt was thrown up. We were the lucky ones: no autopsies = no fouls. The rest of day was spent drinking; celebrating yes, it worked, and, no we weren’t arrested.

11 Likes

from 51:10

2 Likes

“I’ll huff and I’ll puff” was a mis-translation.

I like this German version of Professor Andrew Rapson in the latter video, and the enthusiasm of the trebuchet team speaks for itself.

Really nice. I’ll try to avoid coming near any of those people.

I read that as medicinal trebuchet…
Interesting tangent.

2 Likes

To be fair a trebuchet will solve an awful lot of medical problems. Or at least make them seem a lot less concerning in the grand scheme of things.

Kasse oder privat?

2 Likes

Techniker Krankenkasse.
They do pay for some alternative methods, so…

2 Likes

My understanding of why they were so effective is that by controlling the weight load in the basket and using consistently weighted rocks / missiles / balls you would be able to get your range down and hit the same place in the barricade or wall time and time again. Even previously stout stone castles would eventually get breeched.

3 Likes