Watch this soccer player mockingly delay scoring at an open goal

But the ball isn’t in play then, the clock isn’t running until they kick off again (again, because of timewasting rules). Ignore this, wasn’t thinking clearly.

Wamangituka could have made a gentle shot earlier, putting it in the back of the net and still made Werder Bremen look like fools without getting a yellow card.

1 Like

I completely agree. In fact he might have made them look more foolish. His behaviour detracted from their embarrassment.

But I think it would have taken just as long to get to the restart kick-off. I see why his card was technically correct but I still find it harsh.

2 Likes

Did you mean start getting carded? Because I’ve never seen that happen.

2 Likes

I think it was kind of funny. It’s the kind of stuff I would do, if I could play sports properly. Then again, I am a wiseass.

In any case, it’s not like it delayed the game by more than 3 seconds, anyhow. Who cares? Laugh and let it go.

1 Like

The Werder Bremen keeper should have called “man on” to the defender and the defender should have put it into row Z, the keeper was outside his area so he could not have handled it from a chest back.
I reckon the booking could be appealed.

2 Likes

I think at first he was slowing down because he was waiting for the ref to blow their whistle for something. After all, you don’t usually get to beat the keeper and have so much time, unless play has actually stopped and you’ve not noticed.
I’ve seen plenty of games where the whistle has gone, but the player with the ball has gently knocked it into the goal just in case (also to time-waste, which might be against the rules, but is very much a part of football).

1 Like

yeah, he definitely seemed unsure if the game was still alive - you can get booked for booting the ball into the net if the referee has already called play back.

1 Like

I’ve seen a Carlisle United game won with less than three seconds left.

Yes, it was the Jimmy Glass game. There would have been no laughing if there wasn’t time to score, we needed to win to stay in the EFL.

1 Like

VAR would have picked up the foul on the Plymouth keeper.

And Leeds should have won the 1970 FA Cup final by default when Chelsea had six players sent off, but none of that happened because the rules were different back then.

Scarborough did appeal the circumstances that meant that Carlisle stayed up at their expense, but they lost that too.

1 Like

This, yes. The goal put his team (further) up, he should take the time to kill a few extra seconds of play if they’re not going to pressure him.

1 Like

Even though the Laws of the Game say otherwise? All he achieved was getting booked and making added time longer.

The laws of the game on time-wasting are about dead-ball situations, really. Lollygagging about taking a throw in or a goal kick or a free kick.

If that were the intent of the laws of the game, playing keep-away while protecting a lead would be equally bookable. Which is a reductio ad absurdum.

The caution was for unsporting behaviour, showing a lack of respect for the game.
It includes making the opposition look like fools but is suitably vague to cover a variety of actions.

There were (at least two) incidents where the player rounds the keeper dribbles to the line, stops, gets on hands and knees and heads the ball across the line.

Or the tactic, in the waning minutes of a match, for a defending player to take the ball to one of their own corner flags and then blockading it from attacking players trying to take back possession.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.