Watch this sweet cat enjoy a gentle face rub

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/10/watch-this-sweet-cat-enjoy-a-g.html

17 Likes

Always, @xeni, always.

16 Likes

:heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

10 Likes

Ahhhh hhhh hh hhh hhhh felllz sooooo… gooooood… hhhhhhhhh hhhh

3 Likes

Is it common to have to express a cat’s bliss glands periodically?

4 Likes

Semi-daily, at minimum.

5 Likes

11 Likes
4 Likes

That’s so sweet of the cat to put off chewing the human’s fingers off until they’re done with the face rub.

4 Likes

My cat says yes.

1 Like

It’s happy because the more you rub it, the more it owns you.
Cats have scent glands for marking their territory on their cheeks and chins:

Temporal Glands

There are two glands, one at each temple, that cats use to rub their scent on items they are claiming. This is why they headbutt and rub objects. They also use these scent glands to keep markers of their location so they can easily find their way back home. The areas on the head where fur is finer is where the glands are and the skin is often slightly oily.

Cheek Glands

There are two, one on each cheek, that cats use the same way they use their Temporal Glands. However, these scent glands produce fewer oils and coat the whiskers to rub the oil against objects easier.

4 Likes

Can confirm that our standard-issue derpasaurus (same flavor as kitteh in the video) can’t get enough cheek skitches!

The non-standard derpasaurus (flame-point Manx) prefers endless chin and tail-stub skritches.

4 Likes

I used to have a cat who adored having me skritch between her toes. She’d stretch out her toes and just sort of lie back and purr madly.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.