Watch: Trailer for 'Hunters,' new Jordan Peele series on Nazi hunters starring Al Pacino

It has Saul Rubinek in it, I’ll give it a chance.

4 Likes

Seriously. It’s not rocket science brain surgery.

4 Likes

That’s a good attitude.

2 Likes

“This is not murder. This is mitzvah.”

That’s a hell of a line right there.

7 Likes

We may still have some fight left in us, I don’t know, but from we’re I’m sitting the Nazis control the White House, the Kremlin, Westminster, and allied fascists control the majority of other significant nations, and for their opening act they’ve killed over a million people in the Middle East, so anyone fighting Nazis in the seventies failed.

1 Like

So… it sounds like you’re ready to lay down on the ground and ‘give up the ghost’, then?

My sympathies if you’re really that demoralized; personally, I have struggled too long and too hard to just give up now, no matter how bad shit looks…

11 Likes

They didn’t “fail.” They did their part and now it’s time for us to do ours.

10 Likes

…which is not to say that the fight can’t be won. The bastards were beaten in 1945, the bastards were beaten in 1865.

But it ain’t over yet.

19 Likes

Put another way, if you go after three Nazis and end up bringing one to justice then you’ve just won a victory against one Nazi.

9 Likes

The only good Nazi is a Nazi Hunter.

Say that again, LOUDER.

6 Likes

And if the remaining two Nazis go on to become a billionaire CEO and your president, then yes, you are losing.

I think the problem is really that we should have been preparing to fight Nazis in the seventies, as this show suggests, but instead we decided that they had been beaten. Nazis became a part of mythology, divorced from any real-world application. They were the favorite villains in comics and movies in the same way that orcs were in fantasy novels because they weren’t real, a blank slate of “evil because they’re bad because they’re evil because we kill them.” We even came up with rules that said that if you mention Nazis, then you’re obviously not serious.

I was born in the '70s and while there were occasional pious recitations of “It Can Happen Here!”, there was never any suggestion of anything we should do about it, apart from imploring people who would never be Nazis in a million years to try to not be Nazis and then everyone patting themselves on the back. Beyond that it was just “Follow your bliss!”, as long as your bliss involved being a performance artist, or a starving non-profiteer, or an anthropology major, or something.

Meanwhile the Nazis have sewn up all the money, and those that haven’t have filled all parts of our national and local security forces to the point where successive US Democratic presidents have been unable to find a Democrat to appoint to various military and law enforcement leadership positions.

It’s kind of like the unspoken theme behind the new Star Wars: it’s hard to get behind heroes who started from a position of power, and then pissed it all away to nothing. I’m sure they were very nobly intentioned! But I think also maybe we should be a little pissed off at them.

1 Like

And that will help… how, exactly?

4 Likes

I was born in the 70s too. I can assure you that there have been people actively fighting fascism in all its forms for my entire life (and yours).

Those aren’t the people you should be mad at for the continued existence of fascists.

8 Likes

If I had written this thing, I would have included a Nazi character named Trump.

3 Likes

So was I.

The fight is on us now, as we can’t expect anyone else to do the heavy lifting for us; so let’s not fuck it up.

8 Likes

Fairly certain he didn’t escape. He was invited.

6 Likes

Yup. As were many others.

Which is how they escaped justice.

9 Likes

I like that guy, too. One of those actors where he’s kind of in everything and then you forget his name.

3 Likes

Saul Rubinek is one of my very favorite that-guys. Add Carol Kane and Al Pacino and I’m a little nervous they’re making a letterbox show (in the old sense of a movie where the poster has headshots of all the awesome stars in little boxes at the bottom, which is usually a bad sign), but this looks awesome enough I called a time-out at home to geek over it with my wife, and we’re 100% on board.

I’m looking forward to living in an America again where it’s just a given Nazis are to be punched, shot, shredded by airplane propellers, and face-melted because they opened the wrong box.

6 Likes