Watch Trump official say caged children don't need soap, toothbrushes, or beds to be "safe and sanitary" [UPDATED]

Proof that people can be rational and terribly, terribly wrong.

10 Likes

Right, because they have blankets and soap and toothbrushes.

9 Likes
15 Likes

DON’T YOU WANT THEM TO HAVE BEDS IN THE CAMPS /s

7 Likes

I DON’T WANT THEM TO HAVE THE CAMPS :hugs:

13 Likes

it would be immoral to release them /s

6 Likes

of-course

3 Likes

If? IF?, you seem to suggest that people that would intentionally miss the point, that would argue semantics as a barrier to discuss morality, would not be able to if they were only presented with the platonic version of this argument.

Yes she is, she is specifically defending that these are not necessary things. She is not arguing that it is not possible to provide these, she is arguing that there is no need to provide them under the law, hence they haven’t been provided.
The argument attempts to obfuscate what basic necessities are as if they were not obvious.

The context that you refer to, that this is not new is important, crucial even. But not to the narrow point of how basic necessities are denied. To children. Without relief in sight. And arguing that this is OK under a literal interpretation of the law.
An inhuman sort of interpretation that has been used when we start thinking of groups of people as less than human.

Why should context mitigate outrage? How could it?

12 Likes

To be super picky, she’s arguing that the Government can deny children in its care soap and blankets if it wants to. But I don’t see how that’s any less monstrous.

6 Likes
9 Likes

As I’m the regular poster most prone to making comments highlighting the fact that this bastardry has a history much longer than just the Trump presidency, allow me to make one thing clear:

My point is not “Obama did it too, therefore it’s okay that Trump does it”. Nor is my point to pretend that there has not been an escalation of evil in the Trump era.

My point, which I think is pretty fucking obvious when my posts are read in context, is: this is unacceptable now, and it was unacceptable then too.

And the implication of this is that “let’s just return things to normal, back to how they were before Trump” or “vote blue no matter who” is a grotesquely inadequate response to the situation.

Trump is the symptom, not the disease.

There are substantial numbers of people on Twitter and other places right now making that exact argument, without the sarcasm.

11 Likes

Extra nitpicky:

She’s arguing in front of the court that the government denying indefinitely detained children soap, running water, sleeping surfaces, tooth brushes and blankets at night meets the standard of “safe and hygenic”.

It’s literally the kind of shit they pulled at concentration camps in WWII. Arguing the government’s disfavored populations don’t need basic human necessities, and neglecting them to death.

13 Likes

The Dem establishment are true to form as well, I see…

What stunning leadership! What dedication to liberal democratic values! If there was any doubt about how she’d handle impeachment, here’s a preview.

12 Likes

Fuck Hillary for walking back that comment! She was never more correct with that.

3 Likes

Or not. Because Obama is not in charge now. Trump is and this crap is not only still going on, but got a shitload worse. Its 2019, if you are still saying “But Obama” when the subject is our current president, you are just an evasive SOB who is trying to avoid discussing the shitshow in charge now.

9 Likes

No. There is literally NO sound reason for this policy. None.

12 Likes

You know, where I work, we have this saying “Just because we never noticed [thing] previously, doesn’t mean we can look away now that we’ve seen it.”

The fact that this happened under Obama and probably Bush and Clinton doesn’t change the fact that it is also happening now. Just because we ignored it or were ignorant before doesn’t make it okay that it’s still happening. It isn’t hypocrisy to point it out, just because Trump is in charge. It means that we’ve finally fucking seen it, because this admin is too incompetent to keep it quiet.

12 Likes

I hate to say “I told ya so” to the Pelosi defenders, but I did call that she folds like a lawn chair.

7 Likes

Agreed. And Biden is preparing to run the exact same campaign.

4 Likes
3 Likes