Watch Wham's "Last Christmas", the second-worst Christmas song, in gorgeously remastered 4K

That is what makes it one of the best Christmas songs going.

When the radio is full of holly jolly jingle dingle rat pack men smugly insisting that I rock around the most wonderful red nosed wonderland, and I feel like Ren strapped into the mind control helmet while Stimpy repeatedly drops the ‘happy happy joy joy’ album, Wham has tricked the radio stations into playing one unremarkable, not at all holly jolly, pop song from time to time.

It’s four and a half minutes of not wanting to claw my eyes out, and for this I am grateful to them.

Now if only we could somehow get John Cage’s 4:33 considered a Christmas song. It worked for Die Hard, surely it’s not that much of a stretch.

4 Likes

It’s never bothered me, but I don’t remember hearing it until 1988. As for “Last Christmas,” I don’t remember hearing it at all until 10 or 12 years ago.

I’ve still never heard “Mama Christmas Shoes,” not even on ♫ Deee-li-laaah ♫. (EDIT: @Faffenreffer I’m not clicking on that)

“Grandma Got Run Over…” has filled me with murderous inclination since I first heard it in 1985.

P.S.:

You’re welcome

3 Likes

Hey, I’m doing pretty good this year. I’m more irritable and less fun than usual to be around, but I haven’t yelled at a loved one, had a panic attack, or thought much about suicide. This is shaping up to be a well above average Christmas for me.

5 Likes

It’s godawful. I’m deeply glad to have not heard it yet this year. Better to let Patton explain:

8 Likes

Aw, cm’on man, all the cool kids are doing it. Don’t you want to be cool?

16 Likes

adding for perhaps one of the best. Love this rendition by these guys and gals…

1 Like

Bleak but fair.

tenor

4 Likes

I remember the liner notes of that album: “Despite the commerce involved, we hope you will consider this our gift to you.”

2 Likes

1985:

2 Likes

It isn’t so much the original version, which one presumes has at least some authenticity to it.

It is all the covers

That’s when the antidote is called for. You won’t hear this at the mall.

Like all Stan Rogers’ work, it will never appear on a list for worst anything, but if it’s not the saddest Christmas song I don’t want to hear what is.

Mrs. Mongrove says that Wham’s worst Christmas song is “Wake Me Up Before You Ho Ho.”

I love her so much! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I think we’ve found the person who bought all of the copies when it was released.

4 Likes

Forget Last Christmas, I want to know what people think of This Christmas.

(and I have just discovered that there is a hardstyle remix of Last Christmas. I’m not going to torture anyone by linking to it.)

1 Like

I thought it was a truth universally acknowledged that “Baby It’s Cold Outside” was the nadir of the Christmas-carol genre. Or is that merely “seasonal” and not specifically Christmas-y? Which, you know, is a valid criticism.

“Last Christmas” at least gave us the simply bonkers Emilia Clarke movie, which, you know, isn’t much of a virtue, but it’s not quite Hallmark-Channel-fodder.

I expect the novelty of having “me and my drum” introduce an electric guitar will wear off soon enough.

1 Like

I strongly disagree. If it comes on the radio, the radio gets turned off and smashed to bits. The car that the radio was in is set on fire and driven into a concrete wall.

1 Like

i mean you could say that about almost every Christmas song. That’s a pet peeve of mine. The covers that sound almost exactly the same as the original with a different person singing. I made a playlist on spotify so when I hear Rockin’ around the Christmas Tree, it’s always (as it should be) Patsy Cline etc.

1 Like

to each their own.

1 Like