Watch Zhengzhou subway riders submersed up to their shoulders in floodwater

Originally published at: Watch Zhengzhou subway riders submersed up to their shoulders in floodwater | Boing Boing

1 Like

That whole “moon wobble” thing came a lot faster than I was expecting between Germany and China so far.

1 Like

Well, that would be absolutely terrifying. Trapped in a subway, watching the water rise - and rise even more outside, wondering if you’ll be stuck, if you’ll drown. It’s actually amazing they were able to safely get out, given what was happening at street level.

I’m haunted by stories I’ve read about people trapped by rising water in Germany who drowned, though it occurs to me that such stories happen every time there’s major flooding in the US, something which already happens more than it should thanks to bad infrastructure and permissive zoning, and now will be routine in a post-climate-change world.

11 Likes

Warum schwimmt er nicht?

This Chinese climate change hoax is really backfiring on them.

10 Likes

That first one is the most terrifying. :confused:

1 Like

It’s like cavediving with an added risk of electrocution.

9 Likes

Yeah, I’m wondering how the hell the power stayed on and they didn’t get electrocuted. I really want to know how they got out.

3 Likes

The second one is up there too, that car had to be only a short minute away from floating off to another deeper flow.

3 Likes

If you’re talking about the second video with the guy in the car: I was wondering the same thing after seeing the German driver float

1 Like

Or from the side window not being able to withstand the pressure from the water flow anymore

2 Likes

Yes, the German fellow started floating. Why didn’t that happen here?

1 Like

A comment I read on reddit, so take it with all the grains of salt, said that the subway is powered like a streetcar, so the electric wires are on the ceiling. Not a third-rail type thing on the floor.

3 Likes

I assumed it must be something like that. They would have been in trouble with a third rail set up, one way or the other.

1 Like

The Zhengzhou Metro uses 1,500 V DC overhead line electrification, like most Chinese subways.

5 Likes

I was wondering if this will bring political pressure not to build more coal plants.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.