Watching a man struggle to put on a rain poncho is more fun than watching the sports game

That’s why Battle Royale (An ARMA3 Mod) and DayZ are my baseball and football, and Twitch.tv is my ESPN.

1 Like

Ha! That’s me and my brother drinking beers at the beginning of the clip!

3 Likes

This man is the father of 12. He told them he wanted them all. Tonight they weep.

I am an indoor ant! Outdoor is overrated. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yep, like imgur’s gifv.

It’s a stadium, not an arena. And it’s the field that’s below.

As for “highly-paid,” Tampa has the third lowest payroll in the majors (yet is leading their division, ahead of the Yankees spending almost triple.) They have only one player making eight figures. If you want to implicitly belittle people for making a lot of money playing trivial games you might turn your eye to the luxury boxes, where the habitués make a lot more money with a lot less effort and talent.

True, but surely you’re the kind of gentleman who knows that it’s hip to pretend you don’t know how to sports?

According to this link (accuracy unknown), they don’t have any players making eight figures. But they have 15 players making seven figures. And NO players making less than $507,500 per year. There is no metric you can use to say that these are not all highly paid men. In comparison to other teams, they are less highly paid, sure. But they are all still making significantly more than your average schlub.

Edit: 2015 salary table from the same site, as opposed to the contract table (me has confusion). So yes, they do have one eight figure player. And poor Curt Casali has to get by with a measly $319,863 a year!

1 Like

…and, to put it into a perspective, you can train a dog to chase a ball for much less.

Teach him to throw a 90+ mph fastball, however, and I’ll be very impressed.

The performance/price ratio is still way better for the dog.

1 Like

Why are you comparing them to average schlubs? Average schlubs cannot do that job. Compare what players make to what owners make instead. Millions of tickets are being sold, and none of them are especially cheap. Tons of advertising and television money comes in based on the millions of people watching games on TV or listening on the radio or livestreaming on mlb.com. If even a small fraction of them are paying money to watch Evan Longoria turn double plays and smack some dingers, when even more show up who are simply interested in watching a successful team that he happens to be a key component of, plus a few more who misread something and thought Eva Longoria was going to be there, damn right he’s earned a slice of that pie.

As for “poor Curt Casali,” consider the demands of his job: On top of the normal stresses of professional baseball (which extend far beyond just showing up for a game for three hours a day five or six days a week for six months out of the year,) he’s not a regular player, not even a journeyman, he gets called up from the minors when one of the starting catchers goes on the DL. So not only is he perpetually travelling and away from his family for half of the year (more if he plays in Winter Leagues,) he’s subject to having to move back and forth from Illinois to Florida without warning. He probably has to maintain two apartments, plus wherever he lives off-season. That’s if he doesn’t get traded, in which case he has to move who knows where at a moment’s notice. And if he doesn’t get waived. And while his MLB playing career lasts, which in his case won’t be very long. All that and he has to do his mediocre job under the scrutiny of thirty thousand average schlubs ready to pounce on any mistake.

$319,863 sounds a little low if you ask me. Poor Curt Casali indeed.

Do you think we could meet up in the garage and cobble together a genetically-engineered cyborg dog that’d beat any pitcher?

Maybe something railgun based? Or perhaps a torsion-storage rig?

Now I can’t stop thinking about the Rat Things from Snow Crash… the narrative interludes with the Rat Thing always choked me up.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m thinking he’d still rather get paid $300k+ per year to live that life, as opposed to getting minimum wage to wash toilets. Yes, professional athletes get paid exorbitant salaries because they bring in big dollars to their organizations, and they work hard indeed. But my point was, even the lowest paid player is still extremely highly paid, which you were arguing against just because Tampa has a low salary compared to the rest of the league. Yeah, compared to the billionaires that own the teams, or even the guys pulling in big 8 figure salaries, some of the Tampa guys are making relatively low wages. But by all other metrics, they are indeed highly paid.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.