“We tested 48 best-selling sex toys, so you don't have to”

The Hitachi isn’t just for clitoral stimulation, it also has attachments for penetration and g-spot hammering.

13 Likes

7 Likes

Holy shit, they still make those? I first saw one c. 1977, after my grandmother died. Her daughter (yep, dear old Mom) inherited Nana’s Magic Wand, and kept it in the linen closet. She said it was a back massager.

And I believed her!!

1 Like

Now I can’t get the phrase “heirloom sextoys” out of my head.

Thanks a lot.

8 Likes

Now that dear old Mom passed on a couple years back, I’m gonna rifle through her stuff and see if that trusty old hand-me-down still ticks. I did use it a couple of times on my neck, all-unknowing, back in my youth, so it has seen three generations of use.

Oh God, what if my daughter finds it and makes it four?!

Hitachi oughta pay me to write a testimonial.

4 Likes

you know, for your back, or maybe even the calf.

3 Likes

I could swear the lights would dim in the whole house every time that thing got switched on.

3 Likes

I dunno the wattage of the original Magic Wand from the 1970s, but the current models all seem to be 10-20 watts, with the most powerful one I saw being 25 watts. That wouldn’t appreciably dent the house’s power infrastructure, but maybe it draws a ton of power but the motor’s only rated for 10-20 watts. Like, with laptop chargers, which typically output 19 volts at an amp or two, but have outlet requirements of something like 3 amps at 120 volts. All that waste heat…

And IIRC Oh Joy Sex Toy says that the magic wand gets unbearably hot if it’s used for much longer than 10 minutes, so there’s probably a lot of waste in the design.

Ha! I just looked up the Hitachi Magic Wand on Amazon (just for a laugh, ya know). And one of the listed features is “Non phallic appearance”.

5 Likes

Oh! 110 volts…?

3 Likes

That’s because of the inrush current for the switching power supply capacitors.

A set of not-so-power-hungry monitors and computers can trip the breakers when switched on all at once, with ease. I had that in one installation that was switched on and off with said breaker. The trick to power it on was to switch it on, let it trip a few dozen milliseconds later, immediately switch it on again while the caps are still partially charged. (Later we moved the set and added some timer delays to stage the powering ups.)

Many things have to be apparently overspecced as at power-on they take much more juice. For computer power supplies, the typical culprits are spinning up hard drives.

The caps in the PSUs are a royal bitch. I have an adapter to switch four monitors on/off with one switch. It used to have a relay, but the contacts kept welding together; after couple dozen operations you needed to tap the box firmly to disconnect the power. After a few replacements of the relay I lost the patience and put in a SCR; these can withstand typically 10 times the rated current for a short time (being limited thermally instead of by sparking wear), so are better for such high inrush-current loads.

1 Like

Well, I guess my weekend has suddenly opened up though…

2 Likes

I thought size doesn’t matter!

Put a bird in it?

2 Likes

You know what they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the…

4 Likes

Oh no worries. I appreciate a good bawdy line, too. :smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.