Wear a same-color outfit as Australian TV presenter Amber Sherlock at your peril

My wild-ass guess would be that the Alpha in the centre there is putting together a show where a wardrobe change for her would break continuity, while Lefty is just turning up for the one piece.

2 Likes

Nope. You never pan if you can help it. Unless you like phone calls from audience members who just vomited.

You’d actually use the three cameras as a team if they’re at the same desk. One does a three shot, the second stays mostly on the host, sometimes pulling out to a two shot, with the third doing singles pickups to cover the moves of the second. You can pull the same thing off with two if it’s a pretape, but live you’re better off with three in case something happens.

But don’t pan live. Not cool. Total amateur hour move.

11 Likes

All three wearing white didn’t bother me but the lack of symmetry after the left hand person put the coat on about drove me up the wall. But that’s just me.

6 Likes

Or maybe one of these couples?

7 Likes

Really? Does it look “daft” when two (or three for 50) men are all wearing essentially identical dark suits and a white shirt?

7 Likes

I suspect if they were men, nobody would even notice, much less comment. Reminds me of this bit where the host wore the same suit every day for a year and no one said a peep.

I used to have a closet full of identical white dress shirts, and pretty much no colored shirts, and definitely no shirts with patterns or more than one color. My rationale for this was that white shirts always match your pants. If it ever came up in conversation (which was exceedingly rare), I would cite Einstein’s habit of wearing identical suits so he didn’t have to think about getting dressed in the morning, but the sad truth was that I just couldn’t tell which shirts went with which pants. :confused:

13 Likes

You should try Garanimals:

They ALWAYS match.

3 Likes

Don’t ya know you’re not supposed to wear white after Labor Day?

1 Like

See, my wife and I just unintentionally end up coordinating. Not like same shirt, but similar color schemes or patterns, etc.

1 Like

“leaked video”

Yeah…I’m guessing she’s an ass to the ‘little people’.

5 Likes

I was just too lazy to find a better source. I’d rather not link to them at all. My failure is complete.

15 Likes

I think so. That’s why I usually wear colors and patterns, and don’t wear suit jackets if I can get away with it.

It’s Australia mate! :wink: Those rules don’t apply.

2 Likes

Or rather than screwing with colour filters and possibly making things look weird she can just put on a coat.

And leave the audience wondering why the anchor just changed outfits between segments? (implying maybe that it wasn’t as live after all)

Or possibly creating another wardrobe conflict when another guest/reporter comes on who was fine with the original white but now clashes with the new blouse.

No, it’s people doing their jobs.

Part of the reporter’s job is to be in proper wardrobe which in this case is something that doesn’t clash with the anchor.

There was a clear problem according to how TV works, all three women were wearing very similar outfits for a live segment that was just about to start.

There was a very clear solution to this problem, the reporter joining the segment, who didn’t change her wardrobe like she was supposed to, needed to change wardrobe.

If the anchor was frustrated it’s because the woman on the left seemed to be stalling rather than acknowledging and fixing the problem.

2 Likes

Maybe so, but arguing about in on the air was unprofessional.

Anyway, the White Council vibe thing they had going was kinda cool. Breaking up the colors looks good because we’re programmed by decades of reinforced fashion norms. If people experimented with breaking those norms more willingly, fashion would be a lot more interesting and thus stylish than the bland banality that prevails, most especially in professional domains where fashion is even more stubbornly boring than elsewhere.

Pulling rank?

3 Likes
5 Likes

Ha! Well played.

I actually had those when I was a kid. I can vaguely recall little embroidered alligators and horses, but that’s about it.

I can’t believe they still make them.

Don’t pan across people who are sitting or standing still, you mean. If a comedian is pacing around or there are dancers or an energetic band it can be okay. Also, I’ve definitely seen cameras follow weather forecasters from the desk over to the greenscreen, but not in such a way that other presenters get squeezed out of the frame.

It might if they were all wearing the same colour tie.

1 Like

On CNN, they will often be at the same desk. You will see them look away from the camera and at each other. I guess they don’t want the third (remote) person to stand out.