Weather reporter defends using a condom on her mic (video)

1. Back in the aughts, I read about someone travelling from Singapore to Bangkok by regular train. Same route as the Orient Express, but much cheaper. An English fellow traveller offered the writer some scotch, which he gratefully accepted. “Being American, I’m guessing you’d like some ice in that?” “Usually, but I’m not sure about the water quality so I’ll pass on the ice.” “It’s no trouble at all!” said the English traveller, who dropped two ice cubes into an unlubricated condom, tied a knot, and gently placed the apparatus into the glass.
6 Likes

The BBC would do this. There is a wonderful sequence in the Douglas Adams book “Last Chance to See” where they try to buy condoms in China without the best language skills.

Yeah, my last “working” experience in theater was in college a long time ago, but our stage manager would put condoms on the radio packs for the actors’ wireless mics to protect them from actors’ sweat and make sure that the batteries stayed put. I think she also enjoyed weirding out drugstore clerks by buying massive numbers of nonlubricated condoms in every city we visited on tour.

2 Likes

All the use cases of non-lubricated condoms seem to be non-sexual.

1 Like

Strictly handheld is the style that’s phat,
Sometimes rock the mic with the Jimmy hat

3 Likes

Reservoir tip? Is that important, too? :confused:

This will do in a pinch, but you should really consider getting your microphone spayed or neutered.

9 Likes

This reminds me of Douglas Adam’s endorsement of towels as the one truly essential piece of equipment for hitchhiking.

3 Likes

Drumskin for liquid helium depth gauge.

Yes, really. You have a small funnel with a rigid tube. Stretch the condom over the top. Lower it. Tap the drumskin. When it continues vibrating, you have just passed the helium surface. I did this in the seventies when working on superconductors.

3 Likes

And this was supposed to be leas controversial? Okayyyyu.

Also the headline should be “explains” cos she explained something ignorant people might not have known:

I’m kinda surprised the mic still does its job with a condom on it.

Huh, I thought there was a story where he transformed into the wind to get someone knocked up.

1 Like

I assume there are some people who are just very particular about their lube?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.