Weather reporter defends using a condom on her mic (video)

Originally published at: Weather reporter defends using a condom on her mic (video) | Boing Boing

1 Like

Perhaps she works with this guy?

4 Likes

Using condoms as waterproofing or even storage is common from my understanding. From a waterproofing standpoint, what else can you get that is manufactured to such a high level of quality for the same price and availability?

31 Likes

Huzzah to Kyla Galer for effectively saying, “Yeah, what of it?” That’s top quality Grown-upping.

35 Likes

I don’t know if the practice is widespread, but my high school theater department used condoms on the battery pack/transmitters for their stage mics to protect them from actor sweat.

18 Likes

If you’re suggesting covering all of Florida with a giant prophylactic for protection against future hurricanes I’m totally onboard.

Might also provide the rest of us with some protection from them, as well.

14 Likes

alternate uses of condoms

1. Make an ice pack for burns, bruises, and other injuries.
  2. Keep your bandages dry, especially in the shower.
  3. Start a fire. Not one in your pants, hopefully.
  4. Use them as emergency waterproof socks during flood situations.
  5. Use them in place of rubber bands to seal up perishable goods.
  6. Waterproof your phone for whimsical underwater photos.
  7. Open a stubbornly-tight jar.
  8. Make your own anti-stress ball.
  9. Polish leather goods.

(nb: #4 anticipated this wise microphone usage by more than a year)

12 Likes

There’s a whole bit about this in Last Chance To See, wherein Douglas Adams and company seek to record the underwater environment of the Yangtze river dolphin and find it extraordinarily difficult to obtain condoms in China.

13 Likes

a condom over the muzzle of a rifle is not uncommon in foul environmental conditions for military operations. (“This your rifle, this is your gun…”)

6 Likes

Good for her.

12 Likes

Nothing new, done all the time in the production world.

6 Likes

Why are people getting on her shit about this online? She’s works in tv news in Florida. You need crazy good survival skills and MacGyver level technical skills just to report in that hellscape. Pretty standard waterproofing technique taught by many folks in various fields.

3 Likes
  1. Filling with drugs and swallowing to bypass airport customs. (Not recommended)
6 Likes

I had a boss many years ago who sent out a memo to staff reminding us to not EVER use the term “Deadcat” as it was offensive - told us to call it a “Muff” instead. Much joy when he was shown the door.

9 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

I remember a scene from the movie “Big Red One” when Mark Hamill puts a condom on his gun just to make a kind of waterproof cap.

Condoms: Good for love, better for war - We Are The Mighty.

4 Likes

That’s what the recording guy with Douglas Adams did in Last Chance To See to record an endangered river dolphin in China

3 Likes

The faculty at University of Idaho need this list so they can have a variety of excuses to continue to provide condoms to students to support responsible behavior.

8 Likes

Then there are the movies: Lynch’s Dune, with Paul preparing to spread a sandworm’s ring. Condoms were used to represent the sandworm’s ring membranes, normally hidden behind the rings.

1 Like
  1. Makes huge impressively strong water balloons. (We did this at our uni.)
1 Like