Wehere's the 'Show Full Post' Button Gone?

Aye, I was gonna tag you in this, cos I remembered you making a Useful Thing to do that. It was what inspired the ‘show full post’ button as I recall.

2 Likes

The times that “Show Full Post” didn’t work for me are for videos and gifs. If the comments indicated that the video was worth my time, then I’d watch it. I’m a reader and that was feature rather than a bug. I also liked the having the story above just in case there was a comment about something I didn’t remember from the original post.

10 Likes

Exactly. It was useful, I thought.

5 Likes

I heard recently that @codinghorror is on vacation, and may be busy for a little bit.

Happy travels!

5 Likes

I hope it’s somewhere like

!

7 Likes

No, I haven’t seen him here.

3 Likes

Lemme check down the back of my sofa. If I’ve lost anything, it’s usually there.

Time passes…

Nope. No @codinghorror and no Show Full Post button either.

6 Likes

Agreed.

I’m much less inclined to click on an additional link embedded within a post, if there’s no pertinent content available therein, not more.

Especially given how fond of hyperbole our dear authors seem to be.

1 Like

Doh!

The Show Full Post button was glitchy but handy, especially for quoting the OP using the Discourse quote system. I’d really prefer that BB figure out the glitch that prevented YouTube and some other formatting from showing up rather than removing the useful feature.

(No button for me. Firefox 47.0.1 / Mac 10.11.5 )

4 Likes

It should be there!

It disappeared when I updated the list of HTML #div ids to exclude from the excerpt (to avoid it pulling in ads and whatnot) using the admin functions at https://bbs.boingboing.net/admin/customize/embedding

8 Likes

@eviltrout will take a peek at it tomorrow

11 Likes

Not to mention being able to highlight and quote the OP.

ETA: mentioned already

2 Likes

It looks like the Truncate the embedded posts setting was turned off. I turned it back on again and the button has reappeared.

8 Likes

Meddling hobbitses.

1 Like

Oh, yea!!!

eviltrout, you’re my

(and I don’t ever do double jpg/gifs)

4 Likes

Thank you very much. I was deeply missing it.

3 Likes

Yup, it’s back!

3 Likes

Seems like the post link has gone a bit wonky now.

Older post:

Newer post:

2 Likes

Some interesting results there. Most posts made since the change are showing an ellipsis before the Full Post button, but somehow Cory posted an article that showed the first paragraph of the post without having to click Show Full Post, so that’s kind of nifty.

In both cases though Show Full Post is grabbing “report this ad” which makes for a weird experience when reading political posts, let alone actual product posts.

This topic was automatically closed after 223 days. New replies are no longer allowed.