Weird light photographed on Mars

This is the most intriguing theory I have yet heard. Thanks!

1 Like

Ok, lets apply Occam’s razor to this mode of thinking.
What is more likely:

Two different cosmic rays traversed unknown and unfathomable distances and after perhaps many billions of kilometres just so happened to pass within the field of view of a man made device which has been farted at another celestial body by the ancestors of small, rat-like creatures.

Or

The whole international space program is really just composed of faked pictures and liars who try to convince us that they have the technological chops to achieve such a preposterous goal.

When you stop to think and apply the perfect formula of Occam’s Razor to a subject, the woo tends to fall away from one’s eyes.

Miasm - Internet Scpetic Bandwagon [ne plus ultra]

i hadn’t realized the evidence of such a dichotomy was so overwheming. But i guess there is a need to judge this quickly and finally, being the internet and all. Thanks for simplifying it for those of us who were keeping our minds open!!

1 Like

The closeup actually makes it look like it’s shooting out of a barbeque.

I’m sure I have this ‘sceptic’ stuff down by now.

1 Like

also check out one of @HannesAlfven 's previous posts on the topic which I much enjoyed.

/-s

1 Like

I’m thinking it’s just a meteorite that needs to be checked out.

What’s the worst than can happen?

1 Like

Ahh yes, the ‘knee deep in the Big Muddy’ corollary. Amazing that it persists in so many fields. Maybe the Martian scientists have moved beyond it. Too bad there isn’t a ‘Fair Witness’ at NASA.

That is awesome, so what you are saying is that our search for life on mars should be focused on plasma-based lifeforms rather than our earth-centric biological-water-bag life forms. The whole idea that tornadoes are actually plasma-based “UFOs” for these lifeforms is incredible.

Obviously, martians require liquid oxygen to get the ol’ BBQ going in that rarefied atmosphere.

Note that the “light” is not in the same location on the landscape in each picture, and in each case it’s in photos taken with the right camera (the other camera showing nothing), which would make sense if there’s a leak in the vent of one camera. We’re only seeing the images where the “light” appears somewhere where it’s not completely obviously a cosmic ray strike - all those obvious images have already been filtered out. Given that they’re not in the same location, and that, out of all the pictures taken (each camera transmits back as many as 160 images for each Martian solar day), only these two show any flashes, that the photos were taken on two subsequent days isn’t really that meaningful. The other likely alternative is that there’s a whole region of rocks with some sort of unevenly reflective surfaces, but that they’ve only reflected any light in two photographs out of many many hundreds taken of that general area, and both, coincidentally, with the same camera.

1 Like

I think we all know what’s really going on here.

3 Likes

Via The Register;
Doug Ellison from NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, … has a more likely solution. He tweeted that the image appears to be the result of Curiosity taking a cosmic ray hit, rather than a sign of little green men.
As streams of high energy particles sleet through space, they cause real problems for computer equipment. It’s likely that the ray hit Curiosity and killed off a chunk of data in the camera, since the light only appeared from Curiosity’s right-hand camera and not the left one, which took a second image of the area at the same time.

Motel 6

1 Like

So what you’re saying is that there’s a mobile light source on Mars. I’m getting a bit worried that it may have something to do with the skydiver and the “meteor” incident.

One if by Space!

1 Like

3 Likes

It very well could turn out to be a cosmic ray. One of the things that I should stress is that when I speak about the Electric Universe theorists, I am indeed speaking on my own behalf as an observer who has put some time into learning about their ideas. Over the time that I’ve watched them, they have always gone out of their way to avoid public speculation. They’re fairly experienced at this by now.

Interpretation of imagery is always very tricky business, as like the science reporting itself, the images are oftentimes constructed on the basis of expectations for what will be imaged. I can think of two other instances off-hand where the details about how the imaging was done played an important role in the inference being made …

Io:
http://www.holoscience.com/wp/nasas-xmas-coloring-book/

Deep Impact:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2005/arch05/050708smoking.htm

The best policy is sometimes to simply keep an open mind, as future observations may clarify. We sometimes need to avoid the temptation to “debunk” everything we see which contradicts established theory.

Jupiter’s magnetic field lines, which Io crosses, couple Io’s atmosphere and neutral cloud to Jupiter’s polar upper atmosphere by generating an electric current known as the Io flux tube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Io_%28moon%29#Interaction_with_Jupiter.27s_magnetosphere

Is this what you mean?

If it is really under warrenty we’ll need at least a crowbar to get it off! [rimshot]