Weird light photographed on Mars

I grok in fullness that this is simply an Old One out for a stroll…

1 Like

Because the cameras are stereoscopic, and one would expect to see different images. Looking at the East Bay hills near late afternoon from a Bart platform, I have seen precisely the same kind of effect.

Therefore, it was not cosmic rays, but a Montclaire yuppy condo, case closed.

2 Likes

I award you one internet.

1 Like

Give me a minute. I haven’t even had a bite out of my second brick of astronaut coffee yet…

So you are going with the panspermia theory that the images show martian dicks releasing their load to seed the solar system?

Looks like a dust plume from a meteor strike to me, little atmo means more hits, and combined with less gravity, and you are likely going to have more elongated dust plume. Also pulverized rock and heat is likely pretty shiny.

However shiny bit aside, every time I look at a distinctive landscape of a distant world, in this case a martian mount range, from a roughly human perspective (i.e. on the ground), I get the shivers,

Also if you want an alternative explanation:

If those aren’t the Mountains of Madness, I don’t know what is. Who can comprehend what the elder gods do. My guess is that Aliens found the Old Ones, and that was a rescue flare being sent up in an hopeless attempt to escape certain death.

If you get regular cosmic ray strikes, as they do, eventually one of them will be near a ridge like this one. It’s only notable because of the location - everyone’s ignoring all the ones where the situation is less ambiguous.

2 Likes

Yes, this is the problem with dismissing the observation. We know at least eight relevant facts – that being the first. The others …

(2) We’ve seen the light on another day
(3) It looks just like the light inside of the dust devils, as another person pointed out. It has been suggested that the black marks which trail these dust devils are actually burn marks. Either way, dust devils with lightning bolt cores should induce us to ask questions not only about lightning, but also about tornados, as tornado survivors have on occasion suggested they saw an illuminated inner wall to the tornado. “The most telling clue comes from the fact that both dust devils and tornadoes exhibit strong electric fields.
(4) The stereoscopic cameras took snapshots about a second apart
(5) Mars’ atmosphere is about 1% the density of ours, which suggests it would be more exposed to the harsh conditions of space
(6) There has been increased scrutiny about the underlying cause for lightning strikes; they don’t necessarily originate from clouds. The clouds might simply be a byproduct, with the lightning, of an increase in atmospheric conductivity, or changes in the local electrical field.
(7) Numerous attempts to put landers on Mars have notoriously failed.
(8) The light is associated with a ridge line (keep in mind that electricity has a tendency to take the shortest path through an insulator).

We need to remember that although NASA is on Mars, in part, to search for evidence of life elsewhere in the universe – through its search for water – many of the forms it has been pointing to as evidence for water or lava tubes are just as easily explained with electricity. Wal Thornhill and the thunderbolts.info group have spent an inordinate amount of time studying the Martian features, in coordination with geologists who have experiences with electrical machining. Look at the Martian spiders, and tell me with confidence that this is NOT the byproduct of electricity.

Given all of these observations, why should we be surprised to see Mars electrically discharging with space?

Because Mars is a charged body orbiting within a cell of plasma that surrounds the Sun (a stellar plasma sheath), an electric current flows to the Martian surface. Mars’ atmosphere, like Earth’s, acts as a self-repairing capacitor, insulating the surface until breakdown voltage is reached. Then the current flows through the atmosphere to the surface, persisting until the electric field strength becomes too weak to sustain the discharge.

We might be wise to ask if lightning is the byproduct of the atmosphere’s capacitance? …

A capacitor is used to accumulate and store electric charge. Capacitors are usually made of two conductors separated by an insulating medium, or dielectric insulator. An electric charge on one conductor attracts an opposite charge to the other conductor, resulting in an electric field between them that acts as an electrical energy reserve.

As charges inside the capacitor increase, the electric field increases, stressing the insulator’s ability to keep them separate. If a high enough potential grows between the two conductive plates, the dielectric insulator will fail and the capacitor will short circuit, suddenly releasing the stored energy.

I think the fact that people jump so quickly to aliens and all of that suggests that people are in a general sense drawn to sensational news stories in the space sciences. But, it also suggests a lack of interest in explanations which relate to plasmas – probably born of a lack of public awareness of what plasmas actually are, and how they tend to behave in the laboratory.

This is really unfortunate, for the plasma-based inferences lead to a universe which is every bit as interesting as the conventional inferences.

3 Likes

It was a Horta farting.

2 Likes

One of them, sure, yes, absolutely. One anomaly one day totally seems explicable in the way you propose.

How does your explanation cover day Two? I’m not getting it. You’re explaining one of the pictures elegantly, which is half the story. But how did it happen -twice-?

Maybe they shouldn’t. The ones in the skies are obviously alien aircraft.

I can prove it too, just send me a low quality jpeg and I’ll fire up my favorite edge enhancement filters in photoshop.

1 Like

This is the most intriguing theory I have yet heard. Thanks!

1 Like

Ok, lets apply Occam’s razor to this mode of thinking.
What is more likely:

Two different cosmic rays traversed unknown and unfathomable distances and after perhaps many billions of kilometres just so happened to pass within the field of view of a man made device which has been farted at another celestial body by the ancestors of small, rat-like creatures.

Or

The whole international space program is really just composed of faked pictures and liars who try to convince us that they have the technological chops to achieve such a preposterous goal.

When you stop to think and apply the perfect formula of Occam’s Razor to a subject, the woo tends to fall away from one’s eyes.

Miasm - Internet Scpetic Bandwagon [ne plus ultra]

i hadn’t realized the evidence of such a dichotomy was so overwheming. But i guess there is a need to judge this quickly and finally, being the internet and all. Thanks for simplifying it for those of us who were keeping our minds open!!

1 Like

The closeup actually makes it look like it’s shooting out of a barbeque.

I’m sure I have this ‘sceptic’ stuff down by now.

1 Like

also check out one of @HannesAlfven 's previous posts on the topic which I much enjoyed.

/-s

1 Like

I’m thinking it’s just a meteorite that needs to be checked out.

What’s the worst than can happen?

1 Like

Ahh yes, the ‘knee deep in the Big Muddy’ corollary. Amazing that it persists in so many fields. Maybe the Martian scientists have moved beyond it. Too bad there isn’t a ‘Fair Witness’ at NASA.