Weird things the British eat

Worst fleshlight ever. 1 star. Would not buy again

7 Likes

You are very welcome. I tried not to go for the jugular (hey! Is that it?)
My other half says rocket is like a favourite carpet (“a rug you love”) and the study of why some people prefer to cover wooden floors is known as ‘rocket science’.
I’ll stop now - and get my coat. :wink:

Seriously, though, where on earth does the word arugula come from? Well this seems to be the explanation

3 Likes

I assume this is made with real badgers

4 Likes

Omg! You eat that???

1 Like

The toast looks a little strange. Could it be a Welsh rarebit?

2 Likes

Some people do.

2 Likes

Sorry, been there, forced to eat that. Not doing that again if I can possibly avoid it.

For non-Brits - that is genuinely what many, many British people up to the late 80s thought Italian food was.

And they liked it

Of course, when they went to Italy, they didn’t like it because you couldn’t get proper ravioli.

7 Likes

No, that’s just what the UK considers to be ‘healthy’ bread.

It’s the wholemeal version of the soft, squishy baked flour product.

You wouldn’t want to eat your sugar and salt ‘tomato’ sauce concoction on unhealthy bread

Since 1777

It’s right there on the label.

6 Likes

I’m not far from the Badger brewery. It’s pretty good stuff, as beer goes.

3 Likes

Very big in Estonia. Beware if you’re on a night out in Tallinn, those things are everywhere.

2 Likes

Ah, not just a regional speciality then, but a late night after drinking regional speciality, served by the local incarnation of Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler.

Any seasoned traveller soon learns to avoid anything wished on them as a‘regional speciality’, because all the term means is that dish is so unpleasant the people living everywhere else will bite off their own legs rather than eat it.

https://www.visittallinn.ee/eng/visitor/discover/articles-guides/estonian-cuisine

2 Likes

Although on a sliding scale from cherries to the contents of my daughter’s nappy (she caught me by surprise) lamprey isn’t that much worse than eels, really.

Technically, it’s a re-gifting. You’re welcome, Blighty.

I guess the next thread is Weird Things the Dutch Eat.

Nice segue back to the original thread.

I’d like to add Black Bun, which is the ‘why not both’ answer to the cake/pie dilemma:

5 Likes

There is literally nothing the Scots won’t fry, encase in pastry, or both.

2 Likes

Except for fresh fruit and vegetables
 :wink:

6 Likes

My favorite Weird Dutch Food that I wish would catch on in America are bitterballen, basically deep-fried gravy. Available at Dutch McDonalds as the McKroket or the kroketten at FEBO.

2 Likes

Actual LOL here!

2 Likes

Came to say the same, but was out all day, so you beat me to it. Nice spot. :slight_smile:

1 Like