Welcome to Toad Suck. The weirdest town names in all 50 states

Milan, Ohio (MY-lan)

11 Likes

There’s a Versailles (vur-SAILS), Kentucky, too, also.

Michigan also features a Milan (MY-lun), Nirvana (nur-VAIN-uh) and Lake Orion (OR-ee-un).

Moscow, Idaho is naturally pronounced MOSS-cow, and is the home of the Appaloosa Horse Club.

Ain’t there a Blue Balls, PA?

14 Likes

I gues Okay, OK was an obvious name.

From Hot Coffee, MS to Plain Dealing, LA you can see a heck of a lot of towns with stranger names than Waterproof. I’d put Dry Prong, Cut Off, Grosse Tete, Sulphur, Kickapoo, and Coochie as all weirder LA towns

4 Likes

Oh, and let’s not forget:
Gallipolis (Galli police)
Houston (House ton)
Cadiz (Kay dis)
Celina (Suh Lyna)

9 Likes

Oh, man that triggered me ;), I used to have to travel for work to Lake O-ri-on in Michigan.
What a shit hole…

4 Likes

In the UK we have a place called Belvoir; pronounced “Beaver”. It makes sense if you say it like a posh Brit, with your back teeth clamped together.

A classic from the Orkneys.

Here’s some more from our ever so correct and proper country.

Brown Willy, Cornwall
Cock Alley, Calow
Shitterton, Dorset
Fanny Barks, Durham
Fingringhoe, Essex
Bitchfield, Lincolnshire
Moisty Lane, Staffordshire
Shitlingthorpe, Yorkshire
Wetwang, East Yorkshire
Butt Hole Road, South Yorkshire
Assloss, Ayrshire
Cock of Arran, Isle of Arran
Fannyfield, Ross and Cromarty
Dick Court, Lanarkshire
Three Cocks, Breconshire
Bullyhole Bottom, Monmouthshire

20 Likes

Um @pesco @orenwolf I clicked on the ‘show full post’ button and got taken to an article about the Southern Ocean being named as an official world ocean. FYI.

10 Likes

Salina, KS (Sa-LIE-nuh)

4 Likes

So very sorry :frowning:

Hell is also in Michigan, and yes, it often freezes over. We also have Christmas, Vulcan, Bad Axe, Temperance, Colon, Paradise, Norway, Wisconsin (I bet that fucks with USPS new hires), Jugville, Grosse Ile (locally pron. as one word: growZEEL), Gaylord, Tittabawassee, Saline (suh-LEEN), and Novi (locally pron. KNOWV-eye).

10 Likes

A couple other nominees from Washington state are George and Walla Walla. But yeah, Humptulips is hard to beat. It even rated a homage in one of Terry Prachett’s Discworld novels.

5 Likes

East Chicago is in Indiana and Michigan City is also in Indiana.

8 Likes

The town so nice they named it twice.

6 Likes

can confirm.
Firefox on Android.

7 Likes

Pennsylvania ikes to do that too. DuBois, PA is pronounced “Dew Boys” locally.

6 Likes

but isn’t house-ton the correct pronunciation of the man and lots of places named after him? and only the Texans corrupted it to Youse-ton?

3 Likes

A dear friend lives in Long Itchington in England, dunno which 'Shire. It’s locally known as Long Itch. :smiley:

6 Likes

One would expect Noah to be hip re: oceans and seas.

Several Detroit-area roads’ names are locally mangled. Gratoit is GRA-shit. Cadieux is CAD-jew. Schoenherr is SHAY-ner.

Houston was originally a place somewhere in England, can’t recall where.

6 Likes

Cairo, Illinois (Cay-ro).

7 Likes

Blue Ball, PA is about 8 miles away from Intercourse, PA.

10 Likes

There is also a KAY-ro, Indiana.

4 Likes