Welcome to Toad Suck. The weirdest town names in all 50 states

Of course it’s singular, not plural.
D'oh!2
There’s a Climax, MI and also one in Colorado.

7 Likes

Wait… was that what I was thinking of?

Okay, no, it is not, as I was thinking of the one that shows up in American Gods, and that’s Illinois… There is also a Cairo GA, which is also pronounced Cay-ro, I think and was the birthplace of Jackie Robinson…

4 Likes

Oh, that’s just the tip…of the iceberg: :wink:
https://wanderwisdom.com/travel-destinations/pennsylvania-town-names

11 Likes

In New York I lived in a town called Long Eddy, probably not far from Handsome Eddy. My favorite town name in lndiana is French Lick. Can you imagine being a cheerleader at French Lick High?

4 Likes

Ball State U fans often chanted “Ball U! Ball U! Ball U!” at football games, and one hopes they still do!

3 Likes

And in Saskatchewan.

Leaving Climax:

But face it. No one’s ever going to top Newfoundland:

Quebec has a few contenders:

And even Ontario:

14 Likes

Cut And Shoot, TX has entered the chat

5 Likes

Oh, I think Texas can do better than that …

Or Mule Shoe, Gun Barrel City, and my personal favorite: NoTrees Texas.

2 Likes

Surprised they didn’t land on Ong’s Hat for New Jersey. Not only is the name weird no one knows where it came from and the “town” was a single abandoned shack.

Maryland also has a bay called Assawoman. Featuring towns/areas referred to as Big Assawoman and Little Assawoman. So Accident is hardly as weird as that gets.

8 Likes

I wonder how Toad Suck, Arkansas compares to Lizard Lick, North Carolina?

@teknocholer Newfoundland is indeed mighty fine. Wouldn’t mind an opportunity to Spend a Night In Dildo.

6 Likes

There are lotsa weird place names in Jamaica, of course. Airy Castle, Barking Lodge, Big Woods, Bog, Bog Walk, Callaloo Bed, Duckenfield, Half Way Tree, Knockpatrick, Porus, Putogether Corner, Race Course, Save Rent, Shotover, Yallahs, YS Falls…

ETA: And I’d completely forgot about Disco, Michigan. Wonder why.

5 Likes

Speaking of Walla Walla, Tom Robbins, in “Still Life With Woodpecker”, wrote

In the dialect of the local Indians, walla meant water. When the Indians first discovered, cutting through the hellish hills, a fertile valley yodeling with brooks and rivers, they doubled up and called the place Walla Walla. “Water here and plenty of it,” “A far greater abundance of moisture than one would have expected to find in these dusty parts,” or in the ethane-lingo that white folks enjoy, “Land of many waters.” Had the valley been really wet, had it canals, swamps, and lagoons they might have named it Walla Walla Walla. Maybe even Walla Walla Walla Walla. Had those same Indians ever hit Puget Sound in the rainy season, there would have been virtually no end to their wallaing .

9 Likes

Got one more hailing from Maryland:
Havre de Grace, MD (HAV-er dee grays)

3 Likes

Uh, isn’t that the normal way to say it in English :confused:

I always thought so, but I’ve heard quite a few Americans (and a few British) pronounce it “MOSS-go.”

Back in Washington we have Queets, Quillayute, Quilcine, and Quinault. As kids we thought it hilarious that a (non-existent) railroad between them would be called the 4Q.

3 Likes

Just wanted to pitch on that we once spend confusing two minutes with an police officer who needed to know where we were going, since there had been flooding and not all redirections, which he wanted to give is, where equal.

Before civilian GPS, of course.

And now I learned about this gem:

In protest, the citizens of Dubois rejected the French pronunciation, instead opting for Du , with u as in “Sue”; bois , with oi as in “voice”. The accent is on the first syllable.[7]

2 Likes

Shoutout to Gnaw Bone, Indiana.

Which includes a road called Scarce-'o-Fat.

Some pioneers must have had a rough winter down there.

4 Likes

I thought for sure Cumming, GA would be on here. And the Walmart over there had a Cumming, GA themed Monopoly game! (I gotta drive over there this week actually)

1 Like
10 Likes

I think I know where I am going to take a short break when COVID is over

11 Likes