Wells Fargo CEO promises to spend not one cent of the GOP tax gift on investment or wages

Can you provide a counter-article to disprove it?

2 Likes

I’m not sure them pushing up their minimum (which is indeed a good thing - but it probably has more to do with fifth-third doing it first and the various WF scandals and them trying to make up for them) means that they’re not also going to pay out dividends… that was straight from the horses mouth, as it were. The CEO SAID he planned to do that, so it’s not fake news, no. Both can be true.

5 Likes

Still, I wonder how BB and commenters will negatively spin this announcement, as well as AT&T’s (giving 200K employees a $1K bonus and investing $1B in 2018 which translates to about 7K jobs)? That is, if they even mention it at all. thinking emoji

Good.
When I became treasurer of a non-profit, I moved our banking business to a local credit union and ditched citi or chase or whatever it was that we were using. The sheer number of financial traps that they had set, as exposed in the fine print of each monthly statement, was mind boggling. Too few deposits? Fee. Too many deposits? Fee. Too much in cash deposits? Fee. Not enough money in the account? Fee. Too much money in the account? Fee. (Not really on the last one, but it would not have surprised me.)

Ain’t no reason retail banking needs to be done at a large, for-profit financial institution, far as I can see.

4 Likes

I don’t see how being concerned about large corporations getting tax cuts and spending the majority of it on things like dividend payouts is “negatively spinning” this whole tax cut BS, but okay. If you say so.

3 Likes

You don’t see how gleefully posting articles to put the tax cut in a negative light, and then totally ignoring big announcements that put the tax cut in a good light, or finding every excuse why it’s not “good” that 200,000 people are getting $1K bonuses, thousands of people are getting permanent raises, thousands of jobs are being created by one company alone, and hundreds of millions of extra dollars are being spent on philanthropy, all just from three companies, isn’t “negatively spinning” the tax cut “BS” (which isn’t BS because it’s not even signed yet and it’s already positive affecting hundreds of thousands of people and will be saving millions of people thousands of dollars next year and the year after)? Okay, if you say so.

You do realize that a one-time $1000 bonus for 200,000 people is not actually a meaningful permanent wage increase, right?

8 Likes

If you think anyone here is “gleeful” about these tax cuts, when it’s going to negatively impact many of us, you really don’t know the BBS at all.

There is no evidence of that. They are raising the wages of current employees, they said naught about hiring people. Keep in mind, they had a big round of layoffs…

So it’s much easier to give people who weren’t fired raises.

And let’s not forget that they fucking defrauded a large portion of their customers not too long ago. But hey, as long as the rich can make a buck, fuck the poor, right?

This tax bill is a disaster. Trickle down economics do not work and they never have. The only thing starving the beast will do is impoverish more Americans who bust their asses just to make ends meet on a daily basis. An extra grand every year, that will go away in like 5 years isn’t going to help all that much when you’re living paycheck to paycheck and the cost of living just keeps rising and rising.

We need to pay more taxes, not less, because we need to pay down the debt, rebuild our public infrastructure, and make sure that the elderly do not die homeless or from easily preventable diseases.

10 Likes

Well, see if they save that money, instead of spending it on hookers and booze, like the poor always do, they’d soon be millionaires! /s

6 Likes

Sorry I’m not sure where I claimed that. But you do realize that $1000 is a lot of money to a lot of people, right? And that that money will go back into the economy, right?

And why are you ignoring the permanent minimum wage increases by WF and FT for thousands of employees, and $1B of capital being spent by AT&T in the US, which translates to roughly 7K jobs? You do realize that 7K jobs is a lot of jobs, and that those 7K people will be very thankful for them, right?

AT&T announced $1B of capital spending for 2018 in addition to the bonuses, which translates to roughly 7K jobs created:

OK so on the one hand you say that an extra grand or two a year saved in taxes (plus the bonuses for those who work at some companies) won’t help (gimme a break), then on the other you talk about the plight of people who are living paycheck to paycheck… who are being helped by this tax bill, because they will literally have more money in their bank account each month. So you’d like them not to save potentially thousands a year because you’re totally looking out for their best interests, okay then.

And in 5-10 years the tax cuts can be extended or made permanent so that’s pretty much a moot point.

You, and everyone who says you want to pay more taxes and not less, and don’t like the fact that you’re getting a tax break, are free to write a check to the US Treasury for the difference - and then some. All 80% of Americans who supposedly don’t like this tax bill (I’m sure the media ripping on it has nothing to do with the number being so high, of course) can do this.

But I’m sorta betting most of you won’t.

Nah, we need to pay less taxes, not more. (Of course, like I said, you’re free to pay more if you want, but I highly doubt you will.)

What really needs to happen is the government needs to spend less.

$1,000 is great for a lot of people, me included. Y’know what would be even better? Getting that $1,000 more than once. How much does AT&T’s CEO make, and how many times has that position gotten a raise in the last 50 years?

I want to slap a gigantic “[citation needed]” on the “research shows” part of that press release.

3 Likes

The list keeps growing and growing (Boeing and Comcast just made announcements within the last hour or so.)

Tell me what, exactly, you think the government needs to be spending less on. If you say “the military and our ruinously expensive disaster-expeditions into the Middle East” we’ll finally have some common ground. Too bad the GOP just threw another $700M at the DoD this year…

5 Likes

Agreed, but, that’s… kind of what the tax bill is accomplishing, no? And other companies are giving permanent raises…

Also, the tax bill hasn’t even been signed yet. Hundreds of thousands of people are already getting bonuses. Let’s see what else comes of it, the bill only passed the House/Senate today, I mean my goodness.

When you’re up to your eyeballs indebt, that doesn’t go nearly as far as you think it does.

Seven thousand jobs is a lot? You do realize we’re a country of nearly 380 million people - that’s a drop in the bucket, dude.

Plus, what kind of jobs are they? How much job security do they entail? Are they salaried, benefitted jobs, or lower paid entry level jobs? Not all jobs are created equal, you know.

Bonuses for SOME at SOME companies… One time bonuses. Does this go to everyone in the company? Or just to some of the more well-paid employees? What about next year and the one after that? What about when the tax hikes take effect (because this congress will not make these cuts permanent, because of the debt and this will be doubly true if we have a split government).

I want the government to realize that you have to have revenue to make sure that your citizens that make life liveable in the modern world. Some people sending in a check to the IRS isn’t going to cut it. Raising taxes and actually creating public programs that allow people to live decent lives where they can save money, buy the things they need, and not end up out on the streets because they’re mired in debt to private corporations.

Also, you do realize that others can read and understand things, right? That just because we disagree about the tax bill doesn’t mean we’re stupid, right?

And quite a lot of people opposed this bill, and wrote into their representatives and were summarily ignored. Just like with the Net Neutrality decision. Just like with everything else they’ve done or tried to do.

7 Likes

I disagree.

4 Likes

Man, the coordinated propaganda is vast and thick.

5 Likes