Wendy's Hamburger mascot goes gray in support of fired news anchor

Originally published at: Wendy's Hamburger mascot goes gray in support of fired news anchor | Boing Boing

15 Likes

This is a huge deal up in Canada right now. Which makes me 1) miss Canada and 2) miss a world where this is the most important thing happening right now in Canadian politics. :slight_smile:

The situation has become pretty farcical, though, with a great deal of coverup on the part of Bell (owners of the station in question). They are trying to find some reason- any reason- to justify this termination to save face at the moment.

37 Likes
8 Likes

Weird, considering that everyone I know thinks that grey hair on women is totally in style. Not just me and my circle.

From old-guard 'zines

to the nkotb:

24 Likes

I like my grey. I wish my hair would just give up and ditch the color all over!

23 Likes

Not that my opinion on her looks matter, but I think her natural look is fantastic.

Honestly, I think subconsciously I trust people who don’t dye their gray more. It seems more honest. Men specifically who dye their beards dark just throw red flags for me, for some reason. :confused:

Anyway, any natural hair color is professional in my opinion, and if that was the reason someone was fired, they should win a lawsuit about it.

17 Likes

To me it seems like some kind of ageist related discrimination. Additionally i wonder if older male coworkers are required to dye their hair or if this is an expectation purely for the women anchors/reporters of the station :thinking:

17 Likes

I hope that isn’t actually the reason she was fired (though I wouldn’t be surprised). I’m so, so sick of these ancient standards for beauty and professionalism- and of course they’re always disproportionately applied to women. Gray hair, purple hair, piercings, tattoos- unless the tattoos are racial slurs or something, who the hell still cares about this sort of thing? Does the news magically become less informative if it’s delivered by a woman with gray hair or a man who isn’t wearing a necktie? If a barista is polite, efficient and attentive but they have a nose ring, by what meaningful standard can they be called unprofessional?

17 Likes

it was the most important thing, but that was unfortunately short lived thanks to a conspiracy theorist in alberta

7 Likes

If you can’t trust Creed Bratton, who can you trust?

3 Likes

Came to say something similar about the same province.
A party election where the winner becomes Premier, and all the options are various shades of “Oh hell No.”
Some candidates are actively fighting over who’s platform guts the judiciary the most and who’s policies and supporters are the most openly racist.

1 Like

I’ve lost count of the ink CBC has devoted to this, but like you, I like having this be the big deal. :grin:

7 Likes

Lloyd Robertson, who was CTV’s national news anchor from 1976 until he retired in 2011, went substantially grey in the mid-90s. Although apparently there was at least a little controversy even about that: Lloyd Robertson and the bad hair day - Macleans.ca

3 Likes

Any chance Rachel Notley makes it back into power? I don’t remember her being particularly good, but she wasn’t particularly bad either.

3 Likes

No chance until a provincial election. Right now the AB NDP is my best bet for some kind of sanity. the Liberals are pretty much dead weight based on any news coverage and the rest of the non-UCP right range from christofascists to… regular? fascists…?
There will be a period of time between the UCP leader race and a provincial election where it will be mini-trump-topia here though I think.

3 Likes

Gray hair makes men look distinguished.
Gray hair makes women look like hags.

Stupid, evil double standard much?

5 Likes

Does Canada have any male tv news anchors/reporters who are grey-haired?

2 Likes

Keith Morrison, Lloyd Robertson, Knowlton Nash… of the middle-aged white guy category, maybe only Peter Jennings wasn’t grey haired!

5 Likes

CTV News has some thoughts about the Wendy’s response to CTV News firing Lisa LaFlamme:

(Actual blowback to Wendy’s was not in evidence.)

11 Likes

Probably not. A silver haired male anchor has “gravitas”

3 Likes