West Virginia Senator laughed at the idea that hating on teachers would bite him in the ass - then he lost his job

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/11/bill-hamilton.html

11 Likes

dax-giggles

28 Likes

29 Likes

Think of the poor teacher that had to instruct this asshat, it’s horrifying.

16 Likes

The Breitbart-types refer to Bill Hamilton-types as RINO’s.

This is where we are at: The right wing is divided into an extremist no-compromise faction, and then the rest of them.

I wonder if the outcome of the next couple elections don’t force some sort of major party split/realignment. We started to see if before with the Tea party, but they were just a loose collection of libertarians and cranks (and crank libertarians) and they proved to not have much staying power.

8 Likes

Hamilton opposes “right to work” laws, backed the teachers’ strike, is open to legal medical marijuana, and actually talks to his constituents, even if they voted for a different party in the last election.

…and he loves to cosplay as a Republican!

17 Likes

Well clearly they failed to instruct him much at all, but it may be the raw material that was deficient.
You see, sometimes the tool really is to blame.

6 Likes

And “tool” is the operative term here.

7 Likes

So why is he standing for the republican party that embodies all that he apparently disagrees with?

I see this often in UK politics too.

Where you get people that are clearly hate near everything their party stands for (example, our pretend left-wing blairites) or happily a member of a party that is the polar opposite of all their views (the incredibly rare ‘decent Tory’ who generally will vote for good things, yet will never oppose Tory vileness)

You have political views and thats fine, but maybe stand in a party that shares them? Crazy talk i know…

7 Likes

I (mostly) choose my words carefully and try hard to only ever be ambiguous on purpose. Tool was indeed the operative term. :wink:

2 Likes

… there are the seriously radical ones.

3 Likes

Because West Virginia is a one-party State.

3 Likes

I guess you can make the team jersey more important than achieving your goals, or you can free your mind to find the best way to achieve your goals.

Sounds like maybe WV teachers chose the latter course?

2 Likes

perhaps he is an actual Republican?

20 Likes

Wow, in a coal-mining state? I’d figured there’d been bigger ones, but upon reflection they probably just sent in the Pinkertons.

7 Likes

I had to read that three times before it sunk in. I’m not sure whether to attribute this to mild sleep deprivation or an underestimated degree of subconscious pessimism.

Sixty years too late according to that poster. Unfortunately, Karnes more closely represents what the Republicans are.

8 Likes

This sign makes choke-up a little.

4 Likes

And the Army. With air support.

13 Likes

But that’d lead to the question: “why are you a member of the current Republican party”

Again going on the UK analogies: old Tory positions are incredibly reasonable when compared to the hardline right evil/corruption they stand for now…

And by being a member of said party, you endorse those positions by default.

6 Likes

No, I don’t. But if you want to think so, I can’t stop you. It’s OK.

I’m either too old or too goal focused to care about partisan purity tests.

3 Likes