West Virginia told an atheist to participate in Christian "programming" in prison if he wanted to be eligible for parole. A federal judge told them to stop.

Originally published at: West Virginia told an atheist to participate in Christian "programming" in prison if he wanted to be eligible for parole. A federal judge told them to stop. | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Knowing that I am “doomed to alcoholic death” has taken some of the uncertainty out of my life. Thanks, West Virginia!

24 Likes

That such an obvious violation of the Establishment Clause required redress in the first place shows how entrenched the Xtianists are. Gilead is not a fictional dystopia to them but rather a goal.

42 Likes

Absolutely. This is why I think the whole “dress as Handmaids to shame the pols” thing is a waste of time and effort - their response is just going to be, “Yes, that’s correct, that’s what we want - what’s your point?”

18 Likes

I’m an atheist, but I don’t drink alcohol. Am I still somehow doomed to an alcoholic death? How does that work, exactly?

There’s no shaming ‘the pols,’ as that’s just not a thing for them and really, the same could be said of any protest. The point of attention catching displays like that is to get the message out to other people. It’s hard to understand, but for some reason there are still people who are either unaware or “neutral” in this struggle.

20 Likes

Got to find that new generation of suckers.

And they wonder why no one wants to participate in the cult.

13 Likes

Good. These 12 step programs give me the creeps. I’m a recovering alcoholic. Do you know what helped me? Getting my depression treated and filling my spare time with hobbies. This poor schmuck doesn’t have that option. If AA/NA works for you, good! Keep it up.

18 Likes

You need to start drinking, then find jesus and stop again, I think? That oughta do it!

4 Likes

Dying in a freak whisky tanker derailment accident.

13 Likes

Yah the track record on 12 step programs is not good. It was made up from whole cloth by a religious guy who knew nothing about addiction.

Group therapy is a good thing, and if 12 step programs have worked for people here, great. The science says they don’t work, or at best are worse than evidence-based group therapy methods, however. All the creepy religious layers in 12 Step only makes it worse.

The way that Evangelicals in particular seem to think their religion is the solution to every problem is creepy and weird.

19 Likes

They’re chock full of predatory assholes as well (‘thirteenth steppers’ is the colloquial parlance).

12 Likes

How many lips does that MidJourney illustration have? :thinking:

1 Like

Wellness and New Age grifters use those meetings, and rehabs in general, as hunting grounds. Unfortunately I have a family member who does this.

7 Likes

I’m oddly comforted that they distinguish us agnostics from atheists. Usually I find us all lumped together as “heathens.”

7 Likes

Yeah, I have friends who’ve gone to AA/NA and been hassled by these pricks at the most vulnerable points in their lives.

6 Likes

I never realized that “separation of church and state” in west virginny was spelled “shove xianity down prisoners’ throats.” So much for that private school - they obvs taught me nothing.

10 Likes

“We’re all gonna die anyway — at least I’ll be drunk”

6 Likes

Having met some of them, it is clear that the addicts are still addicts but they have substituted God for their old addiction.

NO one has a good answer when I ask “What happens when they have a crisis of faith?”

7 Likes

They didn’t even try to cloak it in that “Higher Power” BS? Lazy!

7 Likes

I sincerely hope that Jesus really comes back and brings a great team of lawyers.

That kind of people must make poor Nazarene sick.

5 Likes