Wyoming GOP Senator explains death-penalty vote by saying that being executed was good enough for Jesus, so it's good enough for criminals

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/15/unclear-on-the-concept-2.html

2 Likes

Does she want to use crucifixion as a death penalty method, also? Maybe she can be the one to stab the “convict” in the side to hasten death. Christ, what an asshole.

19 Likes

“Eternal torment in hell for supporting the death penalty was good enough for Pontius Pilate, it’s good enough for me”

40 Likes

This is a man who has truly, deeply, drunk the Kool-Aid.

Either that or he wins the award for most blatant pandering to evangelicals.

9 Likes

Or hey he could have lived on to make a much better religion than the one we got.

15 Likes

Then why is he against Cross Dressing?

12 Likes

The line of reasoning here is mind-bendingly stupid. Either…

1. She’s on the Romans’ side and thinks Jesus was guilty of a crime punishable by death, so the “greatest man who ever lived” was a criminal?
  2. She’s on Jesus’ side and is fine with wrongfully sentencing someone to death?
33 Likes

So, um, let me get this straight: Jesus was executed by the Roman government to give us hope, therefore, we should execute convicted criminals because it will give us… hope? Also, “given the premise, ‘All fish live underwater’ and ‘All mackerel are fish,’ my wife will conclude, not that ‘All mackerel live underwater,’ but that ‘If she buys kippers it will not rain,’ or that ‘Trout live in trees’, or even that ‘I do not love her any more’” (apologies for snagging this example, but I thought it fit).

6 Likes

Given his experience with the death penalty, how would Jesus vote? HWJV bracelets on sale soon.

2 Likes

heretic! Pilate is a saint https://members.bib-arch.org/bible-review/19/6/2!!

1 Like

This is the exact level of logic I’d expect from Christians who claim to love Jesus, but seem to live by Old Testament values.

I could be wrong though. Maybe she is signing up for Martyrdom? In order to get someone off death row?

8 Likes

I just heard the expression “Vampire Christian” and it seems totally apropos. These are “Christians” who want Jesus for his blood; they want a bloody, crucified savior, everything else can be ignored. The focus with these people is believing that their salvation required Jesus to be killed, not on his existence or actions. Which makes ignoring everything they themselves (ostensibly) believe he did and said really easy if that’s not the important part for them.

I don’t know that there is some reasoning going on here. I have no idea what she was thinking, if she was. No possible interpretation makes any real sense, though other possible lines of, er, “reasoning”:

If the death penalty hadn’t existed, Jesus wouldn’t have been killed and we’d all still be damned. Therefore we still need the death penalty, because… (No, I don’t know, it falls apart here, but it seems like it’s her thought process.)
We have to be ready to kill Jesus if he shows up again (because she thinks that’s how the “Second Coming” will work?).

15 Likes

Just when I thought I’d read the stupidest thing on the internet, and that there’s no chance in hell it could ever get more stupider-er, then the sun rises yet again, a new day dawns, and someone in Wyoming speaks.

11 Likes

Republicans just love their murder and cruelty.

9 Likes

I would love to ask a fundie that question. The biblical scholars probably would say, “Well, that’s not really necessary” but I’d bet it’d trip a lot of people up.

5 Likes

When you think of it eating the flesh of a dead Jew and guzzling his blood to be free of all consequences of your actions is pretty creepy.

14 Likes

Don’t count Florida out yet!

2 Likes

Holy God, what the hell is wrong with her?!

2 Likes

Well that’s bizarre.

Shall we say emperor Tiberius then? Is he a saint too?

3 Likes

So what I hear her saying is, what is good enough for Jesus, is good enough for corrupt politicians. OK if you say so.

We are going to need a bigger guillotine.

12 Likes