"What a waste of a beautiful piece of meat" — restaurant ruins tomahawk steak and charges $1000 for it

Originally published at: Tomahawk steak ruined

2 Likes

Everything about this feels like rage bait to me.

The fact it just gets more and more absurd the longer it continues seals it for me. There’s no way that anybody in their right mind would take an expensive cut of meat like this, stuff it, and then deep fry it with the end goal being taco meat. C’mon. This has to be rage bait, right?

34 Likes

Why didn’t they use a deep fryer? As soon as that thing hit the oil the temp went down. It was probably soggy.
All the ingredients, except those tortillas (yuck) could have been great if they hadn’t tried to be all stupid about it. Thin slices of steak rubbed with roasted garlic and spices and fried with all the rest folded into a good tortilla.

I don’t like steak, don’t eat beef at all. But damn that was a waste.

17 Likes

Right? In isolation most of that would have been fine. Spice and garlic rubbed ribeye? Ok cool. Fajita veggies (on the side)? I’m down. Hell, shove all that in a tortilla? Why not? But the whole preparation of this was just entirely too OTT to be something I can imagine as being an honest attempt at something “real”.

9 Likes

:thinking:

23 Likes

There were several points in this video where I said just stop it. This is too much.
A good steak doesn´t need any bullshit in or around it, it tastes on its own. Mabe a bit of pepper on top, but thats it. I kinda agree with ficuswhisperer above, this feels like rage bait. Kinda works for me thou, I grew up in a family that was relatively poor, there are few things that trigger me as much as wasting food. And wasting a perfectly good steak like that… I mean, even today I eat a steak maybe 2-3 times a year, it is something for special occasions like birthdays, to me it is something to savour. It triggers me and gets me rambling.

20 Likes

18 Likes

100%, Chefclub is 5 Minute Crafts for cooking. One of their thanksgiving videos goes roughly as follows:

• Put a turkey in a plastic tub, then cover with water.
  • Now that you can’t easily mix the water, add salt, brown sugar, and tabasco sauce.
  • Two days later, take it out. Brush the skin wiith melted butter.
  • Stuff two whole potatoes and an enormous log of cheddar in it
  • Cover it in flaming hot cheetos
  • Surround it with more potatoes.
  • Bake for 4 hours at 350, no weight given for the bird, don’t worry about measuring temperature
  • Cut it open with shears
  • Eat the potatoes and melted cheese. I guess nobody was willing to even pretend to eat turkey that could be anywhere from undercooked to bone dry.
10 Likes

resulting in meat so undercooked that it appeared blue, a clear sign of an improperly cooked tomahawk.

According to the myriad of internet videos I have seen, that level of doneness is absolute perfection, or still so raw the cow is still mooing and is vomit worthy. For me they lost me at butterflying a steak…

2 Likes

Yeah I think these are the kinds of videos and headlines that show up in FB feeds in waves. But content was created so yay!

11 Likes

It depends if is US or Europe. We don’t really need to overcook beef here, because food safety (it is advised to not undercook poultry, though).

Looking at the video, though, there are parts that are clearly not undercooked but RAW. It is not only unsafe but also probably though to eat and hard to digest.

Even if this is not a “rage” video, this is really wasteful and unimpressive.

2 Likes

I was vegetarian for 18 years started eating meat again. I can appreciate good steak and prefer it rare/bloody but after two bites I am thinking to myself this would be better in tacos, on a sandwich, tossed in pasta, or even on top of a pizza. I’m always at a loss why someone wants to eat like a 16 ounce steak after a few bites I am not necessarily full but feel satiated with respect to protein/meat.

5 Likes

I don’t know if this video is staged or not, but I was just pointing out there seems to be two sides when I read comments on a meat cooking video. If the center is red or “bleeds” (I know it’s not blood) it’s a travesty and should be cooked way more, or that is already past done and they should do better next time. The camps seem to be sear and eat or damn near hockey puck - obviously this is for people who actually comment on videos, which is in no way based on a real cross section of the population and are 95% likey bots replying to bots.

Personally I like my steak, depending on cut, rare to medium-rare - but stuffed and deep fried, hell no. I’m with wolfman_al2 above, all it needs is some salt.

3 Likes

No, it really doesn’t. Restaurants serve plenty of rare steaks in the US.

6 Likes

I enjoy carpaccio but no clue what cuts are used for that and if it’s just as unsafe.

1 Like

My kids and I call 5 minute crafts; “Solving Problems That Don’t Exist Badly”

Looks like somebody had the bad judgement to to the same thing but just for cooking.

7 Likes

Carpaccio is cured, similar to lox, so different safety concerns from simply raw beef.

8 Likes

Love steaks? For 1000 bucks, one could fly from L.A. to NYC (round-trip; coach, of course), enjoy a huge and incredibly delicious in-store dry-aged usda prime steak (no bullshit toppings) and have it (still sizzling) brought to you at Peter Luger’s Steak House.

FD: My folks would treat me to PL’s whenever I visited. No more since I gave up beef a few years ago.

6 Likes

They have almost 3 million subscribers, so I can’t really call it bad judgement. It’s shitty and wasteful, but profitable. It’s yet another case where algorithms include negative reactions as “engagement” and thus reward bad behavior, and that’s ultimately a flaw of Youtube and similar platforms.

5 Likes

Sounds like the bad judgement is on the subscribers’ side.

7 Likes