What do South Koreans really think of America?

The US military actually did dump formaldehyde down the drain.

4 Likes

The SK media is not lock stepped with FOX but but in a few areas they might as well be.

I went to former Soviet block countries in '05 and '07. Same thing with Dubya Bush.

I feel downright shameful sometimes when talking about my country.

3 Likes

It’s pretty wild that they know so much about us when we (well, I) don’t know all that much about them. I certainly couldn’t have drawn a connection between Trump and President Park, but damn would I have liked to.

No country is perfect.

:wink:

I pronounce it ‘Chy-pottle’ in order to make my daughter angry.

1 Like

This is the kinda stuff I turn to BB for. It’s deeply moving to see how people in other cultures perceive us in the US. It’s somehow uplifting – even when they’re critical or even mistaken in modest ways. Others often appreciate everyday things we take for granted, often note what we cannot acknowledge about ourselves, and even compliment some of the qualities they find culturally jarring.

It makes me hopeful that we can be better neighbors, better hosts, and that, with effort, we might retain and earn friendlier inclinations. Kamsahamnida Asian Boss.

No mention of Starcraft?

How can this be?

I don’t know. It is American food fit for tourists only.

Why travel across the world to eat the same stuff you have at home?

Which is why now you need special equipment when traveling abroad

1 Like

Or it could be an allegory for the callousness of the US military that created North/South Korea.

Or in general the feeling that America is to blame for bad stuff. (I understand, not an uncommon feeling in Asia)

1 Like

I dunno, it seems like eating ramen at a 7/11 instead of a real shop. Or eating a burger at the airport Sodexho stall instead of Wendy’s or In-N-Out.

She could hit a real taqueria instead.

1 Like

I think that was kind of my point. The monster (the DPRK) was created by the Americans, but the Americans are willing to defend against it.

Yes but that is authentic _Mexica_n food. Chipotle is authentic American food. And I mean that entirely in the pejorative sense of the words American food

Meh, I feel like a mission burrito is pretty American. (The shell they use is twice the size of a normal tortilla and invented here in the USA)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.