What do you carry with you every day?

hmmm, mine is pretty similar to most others

On my person:

-Spyderco Military knife (Ti version)
-AAA LED flashlight (made by ITP similar to the one pictured by codinghorrors, but mine is stainless)
-tiny USB flashdrive on keyring
-pickpocket clip (Ti, kickstarter)
-keys
-wallet
-phone

small belt pouch (often carried in hand) with the following:
-Moleskein Cahier notebook
-TiBolt pen (all Ti, kickstarter)
-Etymotics ER-20 earplugs
-Etymotics ER-4p Headphones
-Epi Pen for my kid
-loyalty/discount/reward cards

1 Like

Presently:

• A Tissot PR100 wristwatch
  • The old knife my grandfather used to peel apples with
  • A Nokia 100
  • iPod Touch 4th gen with Apple Earpods
  • Kobo Glo E-reader
  • MacBook Air 13" (2011)
  • Keyring with LED flashlight and beer bottle opener
  • Notebook (Varying brand, A4-sized, hardcover)
  • Parket ballpoint pen
  • A book (at this moment Donald Prothero, Abominable Science)

All chugged around in a Wenger Swissgear Carbon backpack, and soon to be joined by a Nokia Lumia 720.

1 Like

What I carry really does differ depending on what I expect my day to look like, but some constants I have on me today:

• Reading material (varies, and I haven’t formed an opinion on the book
    yet, I’m barely into it.)
  • Parker Jotter Pen. It’s a really good everyday carry pen. Small,
    elegant, and can take the Parker refill of your preference
  • Lee Oskar Harmonica (diatonic C) with case.
  • Magic Flip wallet (because it’s magic).
  • Car key and discount/library cards with carabiner on an index card
    ring (WAY better than a keyring)
  • Arthur Quakkens McDuckins.

Not pictured: My phone, since we have not yet developed the technology that allows it to take its own picture. Ever since I started using a smartphone (HTC Evo 3D*) I’ve noticed I don’t need my laptop near as much.

Edit: Forgot my Moleskine. But I’m thinking of switching to any of the cheaper alternatives out there, because it takes a while for me to gather up the courage to stain its delicious perfect pages with my peculiar inanities.

*Really, any smartphone will do for me these days, brand almost doesn’t matter. Yes, the 3D is a gimmick, and I can’t see it anyway because I don’t have stereoscopic vision.

1 Like

A lot of this stuff is in my bag, not my pockets - I have an old Crumpler laptop messenger bag, not sure of model, so the pencil is safe, thus far - but I guess both that and the Pen Type A should probably live at my desk instead.

Yep, done that. Well, not ‘off’, but you get the point. See above comment about bag, and lower comment about a different knife.

Tear…out…pages? Noooo! I really, really loathe notebooks with perforated pages, I just end up tearing them out by mistake all the time.

My last notebook was a Moleskine, which I loved, but filled up. I saw the FNs in a store and they were cheap, so I picked them up. I’ll stick with them until they’re done, then perhaps get something else.

Yep, the knife is pretty crap. Comes in useful though. I also have a Swiss Army Spartan around somewhere, should probably carry that instead. I won’t be buying from Best Made again in a hurry.

However, I did forget to post something I can’t live without, sunglasses. Oscillate between two different pairs:

Maui Jim Big Kahunas

Persol 714s

14 Likes

One word: mirror.

6 Likes

TouchĂŠ.

If I’m going out on the piss, nothing but cash. Maybe a house key if no-one will be in when I get back. Less opportunity to fuck up.

I have way too much stuff in the pockets of my 501s, but they hold up very well.
The iPhone is the latest addition, from two years ago. I got temporarily famous, and needed to communicate. I grew attached to it. It’s an iPhone 4, with a super stylin’ cat case from Pop Killer in Silver Lake.

vintage Leatherman pliers that fit in my pocket, Ace Hardware pocket screwdriver set with 4 good Irwin bits, a variety of interesting keys that I actually use, a Nixie watch (I make them), and bifocals for my trifocals to read the computer screens.

3 Likes

you didn’t post what type of little ruler that is

1 Like

Me?

The little ruler is part of the pen.

You know any good tutorial for working with nixies? A nixie watch is going to be my next project.

For me, if I’m leaving the house, pretty much:

Keys
Plastic Keycard for my building
Change
Wallet
Book to read

Trying to get in the habit of carrying a smartphone (just got my first a few months ago, mostly use it for wifi access on the go or still reading books while walking to work early in the morning when it’s too dark to read my normal book)… but it’s not quite an everyday thing yet.

Ah, very cool :wink:

I’m a new user so I can’t post a picture… but I can post a link! :wink:

Clockwise:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Mighty Wallet
Ray-Ban
LEGO Stormtrooper
8 link bike chain key fob
Swiss+tech Utilikey
kakaxumusu by kukuxumusu
Coin pouch
Opinel #6 Carbon

2 Likes

What a wonderful phrase that is.

1 Like

The Moleskins I had only had about 5 of the pages in the back that were perf’ed so the rest were not tearout, which I agree with you, I wouldn’t like it if they were all tear out.

I did the exact same thing with FN, just picked them up to give them a try. As I said, they are just an exercise in branding, but damn do they do a good job with the graphic design on those. I could not resist the State Fair editions of FN notebooks.

1 Like

•glasses (sometimes sunglasses too)
•phone in ugly, durable Otterbox, so that it’s undesirable and protected
•binder clip is my wallet
•cash
•mobikey for work (a 256 bit AES encryption device)
•clicker for the outside lights at home
•keys
•UtiliKey
•tiny LED flashlight
•the most important item: Rilke’s Letters, to keep me sane in this mad, mad world.

2 Likes

I’ve never contributed to one of these because while often fascinating, it felt silly to me because I carry practically nothing on me. This BB one is particularly interesting so far, though, because while there are some EDC types (which is fine, just not my thing) it seems that it’s mostly people like me who don’t really carry anything.

BB started a series of these for famous people a while back, but AFAICR they only did one - with Joi Ito - and it may have been because a lot of the comments (including from myself, I’m ashamed to admit) were sort of assholish about it.

The fact is though that it is interesting to see what both famous people and us regular folk carry around (which is not to say that I think my own stuff is interesting), in no small part because it gives you ideas. For example Adam Savage has a nice video where he talks about his things he carries, and it’s very interesting and enjoyable to see.

And, well, here we are, a photo of my stuff.

Nexus One, two cards (license and debit card) and cash (obviously a high roller) in a thrift store money clip, car key (house has keypad entry, though I reluctantly carry a single door key when I’ve lived elsewhere).

Truthfully, I don’t even wear the watch or the sunglasses every day (or even most days). Or the pins, which are a shameless, shameless buzz marketing ploy that I thought of after seeing what I had set as my avatar here. I do wear a Boing Boing Jackhammer Jill pin on my shoulder bag when I use that.

My needs are minimal because I’m self/un-employed. Anything I need when I start back at university will go in a shoulder bag. But that’ll probably just be my laptop, some office/lab/department keys, probably a pen and notebook, and whatever papers I need. I really don’t see the need to carry much of anything else. My college days of breaking my back and giving myself sore shoulders carrying all kinds of crap around that I never used are done!

Edit to add that in my car there is actually quite a lot of (small, not heavy) stuff, including a leatherman (and other tools including my rock hammer) and other things that EDC types carry. I even keep hiking boots and socks in there in case of emergency. I almost never use any of it but I suspect my feelings about things I should carry would be different if I didn’t live in car-centric cities.

1 Like

I am SO BORING in this respect… The nifty tool I still carry (which actually has limited usage to me now that I rarely drink anymore, but still comes in handy at parties) is this combination twist top/pop top beer opener that I got at a dot-com era recruiting event at my university (Waterloo), from a now-defunct startup (Nano.com - which was very different at the time from whatever it is now):

I lost it for a few years after a move, and was so excited when I found it again. I’ve since been completely unable to ever find another one of these, or even know what to call it when looking for it.

1 Like