What do you carry with you every day?

This conmpany makes them.

http://leisureproductscanada.com/

Found Coke branded ones on Amazon.

1 Like

As a telecommuter, I have nothing in my pockets. Not even defensive pocket sand. I compensate by always wearing cargo shorts with at least six pockets, sometimes eight.

1 Like

And I have no idea what search terms I was using to look for these, but now a simple ā€œtwist bottle opener keychainā€ returns TONS of results. And FOREHEAD SLAP about the can opener, I wondered what that slot was for. Well, at least now I know I can replace mine if I ever need to :slight_smile:

My thought was, ā€œWhat do you carry somewhere that doesnā€™t find straight-razor-looking knives acceptable for everyday carry?ā€

I love reading EDC lists like this. Dodgy, I reckon.
What I carry varies a bit, but I took this picture, sorry if itā€™s a bit dark.
Also, missing is the mobile I took the picture with, a Samsung Galaxy S

From left to right:

• Opinel No.8 Carbone knife (love the lock)
  • Moleskine Cahier Kraft, the favourite of notebooks
  • A leadholder with 2B graphite. This one is a Czech Koh-I-Noor
  • A Bullet Space Pen, matte black (a hair band is wrapped around, so it doesnā€™t roll off the table)
  • Eraser, or rather, piece of.
  • USB thumbdrive
  • Extra battery to mobile, 'cause you never know
  • My wallet, bought ages ago at Camden Lock
  • CashStash from True Utility. This one has a microSD card, a folded piece of paper that has some codes jotted down (OTP-encrypted)
  • Binder clip, because itā€™s about the handiest thing to have.
  • Small LED flashlight I got from my wife
  • My watch, a birthday gift from my mother, a Citizen EcoDrive

Edit Sorry, seems Iā€™m too fresh (regged, at least) to upload pics. Uploaded it to my Wordpress blog.

1 Like

Oh, God. This is an relatively unexamined part of my life that, very like Fibber McGeeā€™s closet, really should have been cleaned out years and years ago.

I wear Leviā€™s 501s almost exclusively (with the occasional foray into boot cut 527s), and have for over thirty years now. They donā€™t have a hell of a lot of pocket space, so I generally have a medium-thickness wallet in the right rear pocket, a keyring with eight work-related keys and an AC/DC bottle-opener in the right front pocket, a Motorola Droid in the left rear, and some cash and the car keys du jour in the left front. I have a digital keypad lock on my front door, so no house keys.

Last Christmas, my wife gave me a monogrammed leather laptop bag, which is nice and buttery, so I use that every time I go to work or anyplace I expect to want my computer. The bag is a little undersized for my tastes, but inside it can be found the Toshiba Satellite Iā€™m typing this on, a Leatherman Wave in its handy holster, a smallish Moleskine that remains mostly unfilled over ten years after I bought it, half a roll of electrical tape, my prescription sunglasses in a case (unless Iā€™m wearing them, in which case my regular glasses are in the case), the keys to a dear friendā€™s house from when I was helping her during her chemo treatments (and I really need to get them back to her), a packet of Propel Vitamin Enhanced Water Beverage Mix (grape), a Mini Maglite, a charger for four AA or AAA rechargeable batteries, a USB charging cord for my old iPod, a #1 Phillips head screwdriver, a set of five tiny screwdrivers, some old toothbrush, travel-size tubes of Advil and Dramamine, a pen with a spy camera built in (from a Brookstone catalog of some three or four years ago), a bead necklace my daughter made me that spells out DADdY backwards (except the second D is upside-down), two or three USB thumb drives, old paystubs, a handful of unpaid bills (none too terribly delinquentā€¦ yet), a Staff & Crew List for the show Iā€™m working on (two seasons out of date), and a not-very-recent draft of one of my unsold screenplays. And a tin of vanilla Myntz. Oh, and hereā€™s a pair of JVC headphones.

Historically, I always drove old and/or crappy cars, so Iā€™d always have a pretty extensive toolbox in the back of whatever car I was currently driving. Since my kids were born, my wife and I acquired relatively recent Toyotas, so the tool box usually stays at home (except on longish trips in excess of 100 miles). But in the cars I have jumper cables, an honest-to-God bound paper Thomas Bros guide (for L.A., Orange, Ventura, and San Diego counties), some spare fluids, baby wipes, etc. My RAV4 has current Forest Adventure Pass hangtags in the glovebox, for spur-of-the-moment trips up into the San Gabriels and Angeles Crest, and I tend to accumulate drinking straws and ketchup packets in both cars.

My wifeā€™s Sienna minivan containsā€¦ Jesus Christ, everything you can imagine. What a packrat she is. Which is saying something, coming from me.

1 Like

Hereā€™s my everyday stuff, itā€™s pretty basic:

This is where the image would go if I were allowed to post photos. I refuse to spam up some other comment thread to put photos here, though.

Key ring with car fob, keys, and 16 Gb thumbdrive.
Minimalish (I carry a lot of cards) wallet by Fossil. IT has around an 18 month half-life before it wears out, but is inexpensive enough that I donā€™t mind replacing it when it does.
Wristwatch, in this case, a Tag Heuer from my wife. Itā€™s the only watch I wear.
Adonit Jot stylus, because I donā€™t really carry pen or paper anymore. My iThings (either phone or pad) stay close to hand. The phone isnā€™t pictured, because itā€™s taking the picture, and the pad isnā€™t shown because it doesnā€™t go everywhere with me. Lastly are a relatively cheap pocketknife that I wouldnā€™t be too upset about leaving at a job or with the TSA goons and my inhaler, because Iā€™m asthmatic.

I do recommend the knife. Itā€™s a Kershaw Select Fire, combining a large enough blade to be useful with a 1/4 inch driver, and storage space for four driver bits, plus a bottle opener to boot.

1 Like

Every time I leave the house:
Key ring with Car, house and mailbox keys, also multi-tool, USB flash drive, LED flashlight.
Traditional wallet full of traditional crap.
Comb.
Android pocket computer with 64 GB uSD card containing lots of photos and music (AKA cell phone).
Pocket Space pen.
Altoids tin with breath mints and medications.
Plastic case with Microfiber cloth (for cleaning glasses and phone) and a few business cards (most often used for making a note).

Often but not always carried: earbuds.

I used to carry a pocket knife with a locking blade. That was replaced with smaller knife, then a Leatherman micro and finally a Key ring Multi-tool (that has successfully passed through TSA a number of times).

Years ago when they were novelties, I used a key ring LED flashlight to change a flat tire in the dark.

1 Like

A Nexus One! Some jerk walked into my house at 3 in the morning and I guess decided he needed my One for his EDC, so I was forced to ā€œupgradeā€ to a newer phone. I miss it sorely.

Only counting the stuff I carry in my pants / jacket:

• Anker 13000 MaH portable battery in mesh pouch with a usb-to-micro-usb charger.
  • tiny pill jar from a color-coded set of seven I got at Walgreens, with meds in it.
  • MyTouch 4g smartphone with Apple earbuds. My phoneā€™s camera is malfunctioning, or Iā€™d have a picture of all this for you.
  • Rhodia pocket-sized quad-ruled notebook in orange: I really like Rhodia, their notebooks are thinner, lighter, more flexible, and more water-resistant than Moleskineā€™s, in my experience.
  • Pilot Precise V5 pen in black, blue, green, or teal.
  • Alchemy Goods ā€œcoin pouchā€ as a wallet.
  • carabiner from my auntā€™s non-profit (Best Friends Animal Rescue) with three key rings on it. One has my house key, one has my black Leatherman Squirt PS4 (best tiny scissors and pliers friend), and one has a bunch of loyalty cards.
1 Like

• Wallet
  • Galaxy S3 (Used to take picture)
  • House Keys (Mouse keyring)
  • Car Keys (P Keyring)
  • Glasses Cloth
  • Hair Bobble
1 Like

Leatherman PST2, keys, small change, wallet, vial of migraine medicine, swiss army pocketwatch, access RFIDs for restricted areas. And lately a small ballpoint that somehow found itā€™s way into my pocket and hasnā€™t busted yet.

But I have a 5ā€™x8ā€™ steel shelving unit filled with toolboxes on one side of the back door, and a shelf full of loaded packbaskets on the other sideā€¦

Edit: The ballpoint lasted remarkably long, almost three weeks, before it got destroyed by metal filings. It jammed up, and I tried to force it, and at that point the plastic was so abraded and gouged that it just kind of shatinigrated in my hand.

1 Like

cool. mine is definitely from WW2, so if yours has eagles over chevrons on the sides, its the same design. iā€™ve always assumed there were a bunch of these made and sold back then, but iā€™ve never come across any others IRL. A silver ring would actually be more my style, but obviously the heirloom factor trumps my metal choice. either way, I get more compliments on it than anything else I wear.

Top Center: Sansa Fuze MP3 player in a rubber shock resisting sleeve. This thing is years old, has taken a ton of abuse and was fairly cheap and I love it and have converted several folks to Fuze enthusiast (Fuzethusiasts).

Knives (I donā€™t carry all three, but one of them is always on me depending on where Iā€™m going or what Iā€™m doing)

SureFire knockoff flashlight.
Magnesium rod and steel striker when Iā€™m camping.
Spring-loaded ā€œJanitorā€ keychain with bottle opener.
Listerine breath strips.
Whatever pen is nearby when Iā€™m getting dressed.
Bic lighter (I typically buy yellow or orange ones, but they were out last time).
Condom (not in the wallet, I usually have one in my breast pocket or some other pocket I donā€™t use for anything pointy).
Leather wallet.
Small glass pipe.

Lately Iā€™ve added an iPod touch because I like the games and itā€™s a pretty decent camera (most of the time) for the weight and thickness.

Oh, and I nearly always carry a couple of pairs of black Nitrille gloves which has led to some derisive comments from a commenter here at BB.

Well, not me, I guess: 3GS here since 2009. (Replaced two weeks ago with a used 3GS, one with a battery that lasts more than seven seconds.)

1. My wallet full of Birr (The biggest bill here is 100ETB, and that is roughly 5USD)
  2. iPhone4 in TwelveSouth leather case
  3. Canon Powershot (Camera changes every year, but mainly I stick with Canon)
  4. Some cheap Chinese BT headphones, which are surprisingly good for 29USD (ebay)
  5. Solar powered LED light (Power outs happen here just too often)
  6. One of my Hamilton Venturas. Depending on outfit.

1 Like

Here is what was in my pockets today. I love the little LED torch and the swiss army knife ā€¦ oh and the samsung android I took the photo with

1 Like

Iā€™d be interested to know the back story as well. The father I grew up with was a WWII vet - Navy - kept everything (I still have a few of the items, such as the boiled wool blanket), and did NOT have this ring. If it had been standard issue or commonly purchased as a show of identity he would have had it, so Iā€™m wondering what the story is on these rings.

I really feel like Iā€™m not living up to my potential, in that I donā€™t have the need to have a cool pocket knife (or multitool) in my EDC collection. What do all you people use your knives for?

Exactly why I carry the UtiliKey. I almost never need a great big knife, but I often need a small knife, a screwdriver or a bottle opener, and the utilikey does all of that and is tiny.

1 Like