What do you carry with you every day?

Now that looks like it would be a useful addition to my keychain. Let’s see if ThinkGeek’s Canadian shipping prices have improved any.

1 Like

Most days, I carry my laptop, laptop charger, wallet (containing bank cards, driver’s license, health insurance card, library card, AAA card, and marrow donor card), keys (car, house, work, parents’ house) with grocery store loyalty mini-cards attached, and my iPhone, all packed into a Timbuk2 messenger bag. Permanently living in this bag: pens (blue, black, red), chapstick, a purse pack of Advil, and ■■■■■ towelettes.

When I’m not going to work that day, I leave off the laptop and charger, and put wallet, phone, and keys into a smaller shoulder or cross-body bag. If I’m wearing makeup (e.g. at a fancy event or an interview), I add a zippered pouch large enough to contain at least a powder compact and a lipstick, so I can refresh the makeup.

If I’m going to a really fancy event where I’ll need to carry a tiny clutch purse, I just take my driver’s license, two credit cards, my phone, relevant subset of keys (probably just car and house), small powder compact, and lipstick.

(My wallet is one of those big long ones about the size of a clutch purse on its own. I used to carry a men’s wallet in my back pocket and my keys on a lanyard around my neck, but I was constantly setting the wallet down at home and losing it. The bigger wallet is harder to lose, especially since it generally stays in a bag. Also, I’ve started wearing more skirts and dresses without pockets.)

1 Like

also around 8 bucks on Amazon

Funnily enough, Amazon.com is actually more expensive to ship this to Canada than ThinkGeek. It’s been a long time since I looked at ThinkGeek (due to their insane shipping prices, in the past). At any rate, looks like it’ll cost me about $20 to pick one up. That’s not terrible. Less if I get one from Amazon Canada and sign up for a Prime trial, to get free 2 day shipping. Not sure I wanna blow my Prime trial wad on that though. :slight_smile:

I do enjoy the streaming vids and I order a lot of stuff (ok, out-and-out crap) from Amazon so I’m a Primer.

If you don’t need it, and don’t want to make the social statement, don’t carry it! Your pocket fabric will thank you.

By carrying a Leatherman PST2 I eliminated about two thirds of my trips to get a toolbox. It’s capable of about 98% of the jobs I do daily, although it does them all poorly (like me, it is a jack of all trades, and master of none).

When I was younger I carried a largish wood-handled knife in my boot, simply because the distinguishing characteristic that separates slaves and free men is that slaves are not permitted to own or carry weapons. I was more bombastic in those days… hard though that might be to believe… :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, no streaming video for Prime members in Canada. It’s strictly a shipping thing. I don’t do enough Amazon purchasing to make it worth my while.

That’s just it - I’m kinda sad that my daily life doesn’t require me to have pliers and/or knives and/or screwdrivers on me on a daily basis. :slight_smile:

The lack of pockets in women’s clothing (even some jeans, which I find baffling) is a huge disadvantage.

My understanding is that pockets ruin the “line”, or something, of the garment. No, I don’t get it either.

1 Like

Mine doesn’t anymore, either… but old habits die hard. So I have drivers and a fake Leatherman and a few other odds & ends of some utility in my desk at work, more small drivers and a real Leatherman in my laptop bag, a well-stocked portable tool box that can go in my car for long trips (and otherwise lives near my Cougar in the garage), and two rollaway tool chests that live in the garage permanently. And there are a few tools stashed in handy spots throughout the house. Rare indeed is the time I haven’t been able to lay hands on what I need when I need it. I fixed a broken pair of spectacles at the Emmys once.

1 Like

My favorite thing about this thread is that most everyone here carries more stuff than I do. I get much mocking from SO about the contents of my pockets.

• Keys, bottle opener (promotional item from a defunct radio station), and loyalty cards on a carabiner (rated to carry weight with an off-topic story of my silliness attached)
  • Folding utility knife (craftsman, not a recommendation, but it’s cheap and does the job)
  • An 8 gb stick formated FAT32 and a 16 gb formatted XFAT
  • Wallet
  • Uniball Vision Fine (or micro when I can get my hands on 'em)
  • Sharpey marker
  • Lighter
  • A small notebook (varies, usually spiral bound but occasionally a moleskine or compatible)
  • Whatever change I haven’t gotten rid of yet
2 Likes

got me curious. there’s pages of navy rings on google image. ones like mine (though not my exact model, curiously) and ones that look like yr typical Josten’s class ring dominate. it seems to bear out what I assumed, they’re like class rings/masonic rings. I clicked on a few but no mention of any special significance. Uncle Bill was a sea-bee who saw no combat that I know of, so I think they were just bought by/for navy people. maybe your dad just didn’t want one?

Hello,

I posted a pocket dump in /r/EDC about a year ago. I have to say it’s remained largely unchanged since then:

Also, here’s follow-up post I did:

Hope that’s of interest/explanation.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Stop wearing women’s clothing! Switch to carharrts. ( j/k. :-D)

1 Like

Do tell. WHOSE broken specs?

Interesting. This would be the same guy who insisted I get a high school class ring (Josten’s) because it would mean so much to me later. Which it didn’t, ever, but one of my kids likes to wear it. I find it odd that he wouldn’t want a Navy ring if it’s like you say.

Maybe they were expensive? That would have been a deciding factor.

Don’t nixies need high voltage - or are you using some sort of nixie like tube - this looks fvery cool!

It’s made with genuine, high-voltage Nixie tubes. There’s a website, nixiewatch.com, with a description of how it’s done, and a history of the design process.

My date’s. Wouldn’t you just love to know? ;^)

2 Likes

Wow, funny you mention this, I have been carrying around a near duplicate device since the dot com era and have had people ask me where I got mine.

On my bottle opener it does say “BEV KEY” along with “Made In Canada”.

For some stupid reason (because im “new”), I cant post links or pics here, msg if you want the link to the imgur site.