What do you most regret? People age 5 to 75 answer

You should check the second definition.
Strangley the first word that came to me as well.

2 Likes

I see you’re intent on being proved right here, but I’m going to agree that it’s entirely possible to arrive at a place of no regrets. Understanding that every choice has lead us into the present moment of our lives means that to change even some of the “bad” decisions might result in our not being who we are now. To be completely at peace with the course of one’s life is not a negative thing. To be in that mindset and honestly say one has no regrets is not lying or denial, then, but a kind of understanding.

13 Likes

21 Likes

Nope, it’s not.

And regret doesn’t necessarily always “come from making bad decisions”; it can come from a lack of info or opportunity.

13 Likes

Butterfly effect. Any change in those decisions might have led to much larger changes later on. I will ask my Dad, but I bet he says “no regrets”. Most other people I know would not say that. Or if they did, they would be deluding themselves.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say “I have no regrets” but I can think of good reasons people wouldn’t choose to change bad decisions.

There are things I’ve said and done in my life that have haunted me for many years because through callousness or insensitivity or ignorance they caused me to hurt others. But if I didn’t have those memories to haunt me I might be less careful to avoid hurting people through callousness or insensitivity or ignorance today.

15 Likes

I believe it’s denial to say you would never change any bad decision you’ve ever made. We’ll just have to agree to disagree.

I’ll own that;

My daughter came from one of the worst relationships that I have ever had with another human being; and I can honestly say that I still wouldn’t change a thing.

Dating her Dad was a poor choice, but the result was having the most wonderful kid I could have ever hoped for.

See my comment above your quote.

Believe whatever you wish; that doesn’t make it correct.

:slight_smile:

24 Likes

Like to think of regrets as nostalgic steering mechanisms.

4 Likes

I can very much relate to that. Despite the pain and turmoil, which came close to breaking me, it is impossible for me to wish for a world in which my children were never born.

13 Likes

I’m right there with you.

I have made bad decisions in the past but they are part of the landscape that got me here so I really don’t regret much of it.

The story I posted earlier ITT about my cat tends rises to an actual regret due to carelessness of not paying attention.

12 Likes

In this particular case I think the correct course of action would be to say something along the lines of “I see where you are coming from and respect your position” and then just let it lie.

6 Likes

This, 1000x.

20 Likes

i believe a life without regrets is not a life worth living. like a life without mistakes or a life without conflict. i don’t seek out any of those things but they all serve to add texture and knowledge to the life i’ve led. without those things regretted, the mistakes made and learned from, the conflicts endured and settled i would not be the individual i am. i would scarcely be an individual at all.

11 Likes

RuPaul makes things better.

I have no regrets. Everything I have done, for better or worse, has made me who I am at the moment. I see my past experiences as learning and so, no regrets.

10 Likes

Maybe not that. But you must be a good mother.

4 Likes

From every indication I’ve been given so far, that would seem to be the case; but the real test of how well I did raising her won’t come until she’s fully grown, and making her own decisions.

That’s the ‘pudding’ where the real “proof” is.

But thanks.

:slight_smile:

15 Likes

I left a good girlfriend for a very bad one. But I married a wonderful woman subsequently. If we had children I might feel differently yet I still regret what I did to the one and with the other.
I wouldn’t want to be someone without regrets.

6 Likes

Gimme a Hell Yeah!

My shit is pretty much all fucked up, but no regrets. Madness* lies that way.

*Not the Ska band but actual messed-up-braining. Beating yourself over the head with past fuck-ups is not a healthy habit for most people and dangerously self-destructive for some.

7 Likes

I think saying no regrets is also just accepting that you can’t change the past. You can learn from it, but you’re not going to let it eat away at you needlessly. You are in this position now, and wishing things had been different will only stop you from actually moving forward.

17 Likes