What Does Your "Top Shelf" Look Like?

The notebooks are my conference notebooks and the black square thing is an RGB video light I use as a bounce light for video calls and as a reading light.

ETA: eagle-eyed observers will see a connection to my avatar

12 Likes

Gotta ask - what is between Earthsea and Doctor Who?

3 Likes

Jeff Foxworthy voice: “If you own books by David Rees and Michael Pye, you might be a Boingboinger”

6 Likes

A very battered 1935 edition of Flower Fairies of the Summer by Cicely Mary Barker - which oddly says Spring on the title page.

14 Likes

How to Sharpen Pencils? Finally!

12 Likes

Big David Rees fan

6 Likes

will ferrell omg GIF

5 Likes

I love finding dedications in old books. I have thought many times that I should write them myself when I gift books. Nobody does that anymore.

7 Likes

“Very battered” in this case means “well loved by someone”

10 Likes

I love the dedications on Amazon.

14 Likes

Excited I Do GIF by Kathryn Dean

9 Likes

But why would that shelf need bookends?

6 Likes

They are load bearing. Without them the entire house would collapse

10 Likes

These are pretty much the three people you would expect to write blurbs for David Rees. Though the book has many more, in a similar vein, by people like Spike Jonze, Patton Oswald, Paul F. Tompkins and Elizabeth Gilbert

6 Likes

Who is one of the most awesome, funny, and smart people in the world. Fuck anybody who is like “Eat, Pray, Love :roll_eyes:”. That woman is a fucking national treasure

2 Likes

Signature of All Things was a wonderful surprise for me, as someone who only knew Eat Pray Love as the butt of a joke about a certain kind of book. I have yet to read her other books, but plan to.

2 Likes

I would also recommend going through the archives of the podcast Jordan Jesse Go! (it’s…I dunno…kinda like the Howard Stern Show for nerds(?)) for any episode she is on. That woman is hilarious and not at all what most people think

(while you are at it, check out episodes with Mary Roach too! Not just of Jordan Jesse Go! - look for any podcast Mary Roach is on and listen to it)

2 Likes

I don’t have a Pic, but can guarantee it is all Pratchett.

5 Likes

The pink thing is a cat toy they got bored with.
Federal Tax Code and Marquis De Sade seem to naturally belong on the same shelf.

11 Likes

Top shelf #1:

Top shelf #2:

8 Likes