What Does Your "Top Shelf" Look Like?

*SIGNED" Slowdive? Now you are just showing off :smiley:

4 Likes

I would definitely browse your bookshelves.

5 Likes

Oooo. Is this for the literal top shelf or the shelf with the best books?

5 Likes

Bill Hader Yes GIF

4 Likes

Perfect. I’ll share some pictures when I’m home then (tomorrow). I’ve got a few good shelves in my life. I think one of them is even the at the top :smiley:

5 Likes

:relaxed: I got to chat with Rachel for a little while after the show! 20-year-old me would have lost his mind.

4 Likes

Thank you! :relaxed:

4 Likes

Which Neil Gaiman is that? One of the readers?

4 Likes

This one!

7 Likes

An excellent book!

4 Likes

It is indeed, I’ve read a few retellings of those myths and it is my favourite. I like the introduction about myths too.

Fun and educational!

5 Likes

As promised, my two favourite shelves. The Poe books are probably close to 150 years old, at this point. They were a gift from my folks when I turned 18.

And, Terry Pratchett is just the best.

12 Likes

That sounds really good. When the kids asked about God, we started with the historical ones. Our point being that what people believe may vary, but how we treat each other is the important bit. I’m looking forward to what Neil Gaiman has to say about myths.

Thanks!

6 Likes

The most interesting dedication I’ve seen is in a first edition of The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich:

“Presented to the America Library in Pusan, Korea, by the parents of Dr. and Mrs. xxxxx and xxxxx 10/30/69”

I’ve removed the names. The doctor and wife (friends of our family) resided in South Korea for a few years, and the book – having resided unread on a shelf in the aforementioned library – was brought back and eventually gifted to me while I was in parochial school. I still have it.

The only other book I have that contains a dedication is Favorite Poems of Emily Dickenson:

“I think you will enjoy this book since you are a poet too. Love, Your Mother”

Mothers. I later explained to her the difference between POETRY and writing stuff that rhymes.

6 Likes

My shelves are arranged entirely randomly. I have to start taking books out of boxes soon, though, as we’re building some new shelves, so I’m wondering whether to actually have a system, or keep everything random.

9 Likes

This is the most accessible bookcase currently

10 Likes

I keep things deliberately random because I know I’ll get unbelievably uptight about books being moved around and I don’t want to be that person. I use a loose system of categories (from left to right on my shelves it’s kids books, mass market stuff, important books, hardcovers (and video games).

4 Likes

Ok, now you need to tell me when you managed to sneak in my apartment to take that picture.
Not only Pratchett’s books, also the bookshelf looks the same!

I’ll be an heretic, and post a picture of my current top, bottom, and middle bookshelf:

TBH, my cover is slightly more battered…
Being a 2400 km commuter, it’s the only practical solution.

I think many airlines have a shelf with all the books I left in the front seat pocket.

6 Likes

This might interest you

5 Likes

Mine were built by my dad a few years back. They’re wall-to-wall and I still don’t seem to have enough room for everything, so they’re quite cluttered.

5 Likes