What happened to Buzz Lightyear of Star Command?

Originally published at: What happened to Buzz Lightyear of Star Command? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Hah, I used to watch this as a kid. There was a robot sidekick and everything (including the sidekick’s evil brother as a recurring antagonist)

3 Likes

I remember watching this in the 80s, and it getting interrupted by a news story about Nelson Mandela dying in prison.

6 Likes

Er, Toy Story only came out in 95…

2 Likes

Nelson Mandela at his home died in 2013. Are you from this timeline?

5 Likes

that's the joke

4 Likes

This may be helpful for understanding the joke

4 Likes

Oh, we (I at least) get the joke, but I never get to question anyone’s timeline affiliation, not since John Titor anyways :wink:

2 Likes

It was on right after the Berenstain Bears, yes?

5 Likes

I’m just going to accept this one isn’t for me and move on.

2 Likes

Nerd-rant: The director of Lightyear has said that he envisions it as the within-the-Pixarverse movie that Andy would have watched, which spurred his obsession with the character. Except there are a couple of discrepancies that make this incomplete.

Andy’s toy uses an electronic voice box for prerecorded phrases such as “This is a secret mission in uncharted space,” “Buzz Lightyear to the rescue!” and of course “To infinity… and beyond!” all of which are unmistakably Tim Allen. Since the TV ad Buzz watches in Sid’s house states “The world’s greatest superhero, now the world’s greatest toy…” this means that the character Buzz Lightyear of Star Command likely originated from a 90’s movie in which he was voiced/played by Tim Allen. The voicebox phrases are probably clips from the movie, as was common for toys of that era.

The Buzz Lightyear of Star Command show would still exist in-Pixarverse as a cartoon created due to the success of the preceding movie and toy line, with Patrick Warburton replacing Tim Allen in the lead role due to budgetary considerations.

This new Lightyear movie would therefore not be the movie that young Andy watched, but the in-Pixarverse gritty reboot of it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.