Revenge of the Jedi poster up for auction

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/20/revenge-of-the-jedi-poster-up.html

1 Like

Another one for the parallel universe people?

3 Likes

What is a Star Wars?

2 Likes
8 Likes

Dunno. Must be something on the intertubes for the kids.

3 Likes

I LOVE this poster. I have the gold version of the 10th Anniversary poster (which Says Return, not Revenge).

Ironically, some place in Wichita KS has the rights to make that poster and I got it for like $20 or so at a Star Trek convention. I think is one of the few 90s items that has gone up in value a bit.

3 Likes

At least in Japan it’s name was Revenge of the Jedi (ジェダイの復讐) when it hit theaters there, though in later marketing and sales it’s always been Return of the Jedi

1 Like

Whoa…Sotheby’s estimates this poster to go for at least $2237.50 US dollars (includes the 25% Sotheby’s commission).

The poster (and not an eBay reproduction) is available in the US for hundreds less. Buyer beware!

The Star Wars fan club released a bunch of merch with this title before the movie came out. I still have an iron-on patch that says Revenge of the Jedi.

1 Like

Have to say, I side with Lucas on that one.

The other (apocryphal?) story is that Lucas changed the title after Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan came out in the summer of '82 and he was concerned “revenge” and “wrath” sounded too similar.

All kinds of revenge of the jedi merch online.

This is obviously going back ages ago, and my spotty memory isn’t the best, but I’m positive that this happened.

I was a teenager in Pueblo, Colorado, and my older brother was working at the theater at the Pueblo Mall. They did a preview showing of the movie exclusively for employees and their families, and it was called “Revenge of the Jedi” when we went and saw it.

I no longer remember how far in advance of the release this preview showing was – I want to say at least a month – but I remember it was a pretty big deal that we were getting to see it so far ahead of anyone else, and my friends were mighty jealous.

I also remember when it finally released with the title of “Return of the Jedi” I thought it was strange, and wondered at the time why they had changed it. There wouldn’t be an internet that I could check for quite some time, and I didn’t follow movie magazines that may have held an answer, so I just chalked it up as one of those marketing things.

All that said, as much as I like this poster there is no way I would spend that much money for it – even if I had that kind of money to spend. I might be willing to go $30, but that’s my limit.

2 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

Star Trek Episode IV —
A New Wrath

3 Likes

Did the new posters change the colors of the light sabres as well as the word?

I’ve always liked this unofficial “poster”:

6 Likes

Not to be confused with the Network Battle of the T’s and A’s

1 Like

ad1961b31e77441d69b177df633b81092e3d6d3b_1_690x388

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.