What happens if you try to steal a Rolls-Royce hood ornament?

The one in the gif is pretty bad for the blade. It’s an aluminum honeycomb designed to deform when the blade engages it. It destroys both the blade and the brake.

1 Like

There’s also this

Looks like it uses an explosive charge to blow the saw blade out of harms way. Saves both your hand and your blade.

So the hood ornament has a panic room basically.

3 Likes

…until this glorious jackass showed up on the scene.

Isn’t that a woodpecker? As seen on the mascots for Clay Smith cams and Thrush exhausts.

Well, as they say: “Set a deep hole with spring-loaded sides, tripwires, whirling knife blades driven by water power, broken glass and scorpions, to catch a thief.”

4 Likes

I’d planned out a spring-launched projectile system, but my car’s electrical system is marginal enough already without having to maintain a current to the spring-compressing solenoid.

2 Likes

Exactly. To me, this whole thing reads “CHALLENGE”…

Another thought: It looks like it drops straight down. But the pedestal is narrower than the wings. So I think if I just squeezed a couple blocks of wood on either side of the pedestal before tripping the mechanism, it would get trapped.

Damn, now I just need to live in a neighborhood where Rolls are parked on the street.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.