What is exposed about you and your friends when you login with Facebook

[Permalink]

1 Like

Doesnā€™t BoingBoing offer this very service?

13 Likes

So? simply share less of that info on FB. They have my birthdate, college and a few books and movies. The rest I leave blank. Iā€™ve lived by the dictum, ā€œif you put it on the net itā€™s available to anyoneā€ for years. You donā€™t even have to use your ā€œrealā€ name. If someone knows me in person they know who I am. If they only know me online, they know my pseudonym. Simple.

7 Likes

I have always been suspicious of the concept, so I never log into anything else with FB. And I never ā€˜likeā€™ anything other than friendsā€™ posts. And I run AdBlock Plus, which hides all their text ads.

Iā€™m sure it is futile, though.

10 Likes

Iā€™m not really sure giving limited or false information to facebook is a real solution. Network analysis is a powerful tool.

I prefer the alternate solution of not using facebook. If people want to know what Iā€™m up to, they can call me. If I want to know what they are up to, I call them.

6 Likes

Youā€™ve embiggened my awareness with this perfectly cromulent article.

1 Like

:+1: Likes ā€œPrivacy Violationsā€

2 Likes

That way only the NSA knows what you and your friends are up to? :slight_smile:

Telephone, heh, why not telegraph? ā€¦wait another operator might be on the wire, smoke signal then? ā€¦oh darn another person looking at the horizon. passenger pigeon with wax sealed cylinder? ahā€¦we might be finally getting somewhere with yeā€™olā€™timey communication methods. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

WTF is it with this embiggen?? Just say enlarge, itā€™s fewer letter and less syllables too.

Apologies for the outburst, it has been an interminable 24 hours and I require a near universal form of physical intimacy wherein two people put their arms around the neck, back, or waist of one another and closely hold each other.

1 Like

If you remove ā€œSo?ā€ and ā€œSimpleā€ from your comment, your post makes some sense to me. Thereā€™s just too much to unpack in those two little words. :wink:

There are enough apps and web sites that require Facebook that it isnā€™t necessarily an option to simply not use it. I have a Facebook account, as a result, where literally none of the information I provided it was accurate, except my email - which itself I originally set up purely as a spam trap for accounts that required email.

Better yetā€¦ create another FB account with no real information for the sole purpose of logging into websites which ā€˜needā€™ an FB login. Simple!

Not in my world, there arenā€™t. Facebooklessness works just fine for me.

6 Likes

This is plain BS. The webmaster that configures the login service with facebook can select specifically what information the login process will request, and that can be as few as email address and real name. Which is all you really need to create a local account for the logged-in user in your website. @TheBakeryLDN is really promoting FUD here and should not be taken seriously.
Itā€™s up to site administrators to protect users information and be clear on what information they are really collecting.

2 Likes

I use the word occasionally. For me, itā€™s a (very) mild form of trolling. I grew up around compulsive language correctors, and I sometimes canā€™t resist pushing those buttons. That, and the word inevitably reminds me of ā€œcromulent.ā€ Being reminded of ā€œcromulentā€ is always good.

1 Like

Yes: this article is really exaggerating the issue. When a website wants to allow login via Facebook it has to specifically request almost all of these properties: Facebookā€™s own docs state that:

[ā€¦] the app can access their public profile and friend list, the pieces of information that are visible to everyone. Each other piece of information that someone adds to their Facebook profile is secured behind permissions.

This means that the app/site in question will pop up a box asking for those permissions explicitly (eg. ā€œthis app wants to access your photosā€ etc) and the user must approve that personally before logging in. Sure, you can argue that sites shouldnā€™t be asking for all that data, but itā€™s at the userā€™s discretion to grant it and itā€™s about as transparent as it could be: Facebook arenā€™t hiding what theyā€™re doing.

3 Likes

Having worked for corporate America, I am always amused at the hype about OMG they know your favorite books. Hell, most places I know are barely competent enough to work their databases to use the email information. A giant flood of information is just as useless as none. Kudos to the company that can actually monetize my love of giant squid. Use that information for good or evil, but use it!

2 Likes

Why? Itā€™s a perfectly cromulent word.

(Itā€™s an old Simpsons gag. Iā€™d link a video clip but they all seem to have been taken down.)

3 Likes

This is linkbait FUD.

The screenshot youā€™re seeing is the list of things an operator may ask to know.

It is up to the Facebook user to grant (or deny) access to this information about themselves.

I expect more from Cory Doctorow for some reason. Iā€™ve adjusted my expectations accordingly.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never had a facebook account and I can use the internet just fine. So I think you might be a little off on how important facebook is.

5 Likes