What is the meaning of this unusual sticker spotted on a jeep?

Great grandson of Galdhon and great-great-grandson of Elmo.

Gil-Galad is a distant cousin on his mother’s side.

4 Likes

One of the very few advantages of never getting married is never getting divorced.

Also I never had kids so only your kids will hate me. And I don’t care about your kids that much.

2 Likes

Yeah, we (as a community) have come up with several options:

1. Dad who has taken their complaint about child custody to the door decal, making it instantly toxic if it wasn’t before
  2. Mom who thinks it’s funny that they have the power to deny access to their kids to their former partner and who has made that into a form of public abuse by putting it on a door decal
  3. Divorce lawyer who wants to drum up business by presenting divorce as an acrimonious war
  4. Incel who is just generally trying to foment hatred of women

Which basically all boils down to:

But based on my experience, I’d guess it’s (1), with second place being (4), not (2) (since manipulative and abusive people usually know not to advertise how manipulative and abusive they are publicly).

8 Likes

I don’t know if this makes things more or less clear, but based on @Vert finding the source of the decal, I looked up the producer of it, “End Parental Alienation”. I half expected to find a thinly veiled MRA group, but instead found a perfectly legit looking child psychologist named Linda. http://endparentalalienation.com/

This doesn’t rule out an Incel/MRA type, since they have a long history of missing the point of other peoples’ symbology, but here we are.

Maybe this is Linda’s Jeep? She’s apparently based in NY though, not LA.

3 Likes

Well, I googled a bit and it’s hard to find any references to Gottlieb that aren’t their own website or facebook page. There is no wikipedia page about them and apparently they don’t have articles written about them or their services in any large publications.

If you google for “end parental alienation” and “scam” you can find a couple of articles where adult children have sued parental “reunification” programs, and one where a man accuses Gottlieb’s “Turning Points” organization (I think this is the same org) as being responsible for the deaths of their children (their wife who had significant mental health problems killed the children while the family was in therapy with the program).

Apparently “parental alienation” has been recognized by courts in family cases around as early as 2001, but there are now significant criticisms of how it has played out. Courts have interpreted children who don’t want to be around their parent as having been alienated from that parent by the other parent in cases where what was really going on was that the kids didn’t want to be around the parent because that parent was abusive. Therefore there are questions about whether trying to stop parental alienation has supported more abuse than it has prevented.

It also looks to me like programs designed at ending parental alienation are sometimes court mandated despite having no real oversight or accreditation. To me that’s a big red flag. If you can convince courts to mandate people use your programs you have a cash cow.

Honestly I find the whole thing a little concerning. It concerns me that a psychologist would promote an image like the one in the decal. Best case scenario is they intend the image to raise awareness among adults in a way that I think is sketchy and doesn’t keep children’s interests at heart (sarcastic jokes about child abuse are risky in comedy clubs, and outright out of bounds anywhere else). Worst case they are trying to harm children because harmed children are the inputs to their business model.

7 Likes

I think the “(Unofficial) Uncle/Aunt So-and-So” gig is about a bajillion times better than actually being a parent. I mean, sure there’s rewards to parenting, I get it. But – there are rewards to not parenting, as well. Cash-money being a not-insubstantial aspect of that!

1 Like

If you look at the pics section of her site, you can see many, many similarly-themed meme-type pics all oriented around the notion that parental alienation is a form of child abuse.

Now, this sticker could be on a disgruntled parent’s vehicle to be sure, but I’d say there is a possibility us bb forum folks missed another viable possibility, which is that the Jeep belongs to someone who is involved in “activism” of sorts around this issue.

I hear that.

Recently I read a study that showed that people that raised kids that made it out of the house had a greater sense of satisfaction in life than those that didn’t have kids.

It didn’t mention people that suffered through losing children. Which is another reason I didn’t want kids.

I think I was like 13 years old when I realized that I would never be parent material.

I actually think I’d be a great dad, and who knows, I guess technically it’s still possible – but there’s a 99% chance it isn’t going to. I’m single, not looking, and not particularly excited about becoming a parent at this stage of my life. I was much more interested in it at 28 or 30 than I am at 42.

Also, not having kids is about as green a thing a person can do in their life, from what I can tell. So there’s that!

I think parenting is one of those things like “going to college” especially here in the US. It’s just kind of taken for granted that doing this is the “right way” of going about things, when other very viable options exist. It’s groupthink for sure, and also a very capitalistic mode of thought.

Me, I kind of like the idea of: “This unique line of DNA that has existed for at least hundreds of millions of years that has culminated in this guy? IT ENDS WITH ME! HA!” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I think that is cool that you grew into liking the idea of fatherhood.

I grew further and further from it the older that I have gotten.

2 Likes

Again, I can see it from both sides – it would be deeply rewarding in a number of quite unique ways, but would also require an absolute forfeiture of many aspects of my individual agency. I have plenty of friends with kids. I want kid-time, I can arrange for kid-time. I can swing in, be Uncle Nick for a few hours, have all the fun in the world with them… and then drop them back off, live my life, and not have to worry about college bills or really anything else! Best of both worlds! At this point, I do not see it as an attractive option for me.

Plus, unless I want to go the Punky Brewster route, I’d have to find someone to have a baby with. Haven’t found her yet, and don’t have huge expectations for finding that person any time soon, seeing as I’m not even remotely looking!

1 Like

That’s very interesting. So maybe Dr. Linda is a little fringey, in which case it’s likely she’ll fall into favor with MRA types (if she hasn’t already). There’s nothing a fauxpressed minority loves more than a discredited belief that supports their world view.

3 Likes

Good find- between this and @anon50609448 ‘s findings, we have all the red flags for a pseudoscience and fringe nonsense party.

3 Likes

YYZ used to be a long instrumental song by Yes, but Sigur Ros and a hand of others blew 12:41 (where 12 is minutes, not days) out of the neutral saline (aq.) while pitching from the Cosmic Pomposity quarter of Prog. Rock to the Steely Dan Reads Cardiology quarter, IIRC. Anyhoo, ensemble compatibility gene^W^Wchromosome for safe passaging without fiddling with RoS.

9 Likes

Rock on, dude, rock on.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.