What is the worst Christmas song?

It is, was, and always will be about the Reindeer Games.

3 Likes

Austin’s local radio station that plays holiday songs every year, played at least 10 different versions of “Frosty the Snowman” during the same time slot last Saturday night. Yeesh.

Honestly, though.

I always thought it was Yoko caterwauling, and the children following by example.

I also think Linda McCartney secretly wrote “Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime”, and Paul went along with the ruse to keep the peace.

It’s a Holly Jolly BLEEEAAAAAUUUUUGGGHHHHHH!!!

Actually, Mannheim Steamroller is about the only XMAS music I can stand precisely because it’s so far off the track that I don’t realize it’s XMAS crap until halfway through.

The sad thing is that there really is some excellent XMAS music, but the agony of being beaten to death until you want to pour molten lead in your ears every damned year for months at a time with every bit if dreck that they can find is enough to make you want to send it all down the memory hole.

That goddamned hippopotamus for X-mass song. I literally want to smother everyone who wrote, performed, recorded, and distributed that song. It sickens me.

1 Like

I actually like “Baby Please Come Home,” but it can be a nasty earworm.

I was toying around with alternate lyrics the other day, as it rolled around in my head for the 500th time:

(Christmas!)
Now you’re playing Deck the Halls
(Christmas!)
But I can’t hear it at all
(Christmas!)
This song is stuck in my head
(Christmas!)
Before long I’ll wish you were dead!

(Christmas!)
It’s drivin’ me mad
(Christmas!)
It’s makin’ me blue
(Christmas!)
Yeah, but I’ll get you back
(Christmas!)
When I play it for you!

1 Like

Tangentially the Alison Brie/Annie Edison Christmas song from Community may be the best. Jeff Wingers look of horror and uncomfort during the bit is priceless, and exactly how I feel when listening to Santa baby or Baby its cold outside.

(Regionals)

1 Like

i stand by my assertion!

1 Like

Up on Santa Claus Mountain

Jackson 5 version of Santa Claus is coming to Town

Working in retail, this time of year is bad enough, but most of the songs are drowned out by the hum drum murmur of shoppers, but because of the treble vocals this one just cuts straight through. It’s just awful.

3 Likes

As christmas songs go it may technically be ok, but I swear if I hear “Let it snow” one more time I’m going to puke.

2 Likes

Ugh, “Do they know it’s Christmas”. For sure.
I get that it’s (arguably…) for a good cause, but it’s just so patronizing and West-centric and insensitive to the legacy of genocide that heralded Christianity in Africa…and even worse, it has Bono. UGH.

7 Likes

Whatever, man! The New Kids ARE Christmas! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dammit, I’d nearly buried the memory of my mom putting Mannheim Steamroller on endless repeat back in the day. :persevere:

I hate this group’s musical stylings with the burning heat of a thousand suns. I think the only thing that sets me on edge faster is Steely Dan.

2 Likes

Snoopy’s Christmas must die.

The song was actually created to just be a throw-away opening number for one of Williams’ Christmas specials. When the public reacted positively, it was then included on his next Christmas album.

Oh, you think that the normal version of “Baby It’s Cold Outside” is creepy? Wait until you hear John Schneider and Tom Wopat’s “bromance” version!

2 Likes

May the odds be ever in your favor, Rudolph.

2 Likes